Western Animation: Wish Kid
Wish Kid starring Macaulay Culkin (often referred to simply as Wish Kid) was an animated television series that originally aired on NBC. The premise of the show was that Macaulay's character Nicholas "Nick" McClary owned a baseball glove that was hit by a small shooting star. When punched three times it allowed him wish for anything. However, the power was very limited as Nick could only wish for something once a week (a rather sly nod to its weekly Saturday airings). Also, the wishes would wear out after a certain amount of time, which would serve as the conflicts Nick gets into, forcing him to solve it.
The show provides examples of:
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Nick isn't the only victim of the trope.
- At a science fair, Francis destroyed Darryl's dinosaur egg so Darryl used Nick's glove to wish another one. He forgot to specify he didn't want a real dinosaur egg.
- Not knowing about the glove's power (Nick's best friend Darryl is the only one who does), Frankie started hitting it while preparing to do the same to Nick. Right before he hit the glove a third time, Frankie stated that, after he's done with Nick, Nick would wish he was miles away.
- Berserk Button: Frankie Dutweiler hates being called Francis, and will beat up anyone who calls him that. In the episode where Nick wished Frankie would be his friend, one effect was the removal of this Berserk Button.
- Black and Nerdy: Darryl Singletary
- The Cassandra: Mrs. Opal
- Closer to Earth: Darryl
- Dean Bitterman
- The Faceless: Mrs. Opal's husband, Harry. Harry's face is almost always hidden under his newspaper. It's not seen even when it's not.
- A Fool and His New Money Are Soon Parted: One episode involved Nick wishing that his parents was rich, and the wish altered his parents' lottery ticket so that it would have the winning number. Halfway through the episode Nick realizes that the wish would soon wear off, but his parents continue to lavish in their new wealth and ignore Nick's advice. Cue the wish wearing off, the lottery win being declared a mistake, and everything returning back to the way it was.
- Heel-Face Revolving Door: Nick once wished Frankie would be his friend. Unfortunately, the wish eventually wore off.
- Badass Decay: The same wish also turned Frankie into a wimp while it lasted.
- I Have No Son: Frankie's Dad had this reaction when Frankie became Nick and Darryl's friend.
- Ink-Suit Actor: Nick exactly resembles his voice actor, Macaulay Culkin.
- Limited Social Circle: Darryl seems to be Nick's only friend.
- Meganekko: The Principal's assistant.
- New Year's Resolution: Darryl made one never to enter a wish from Nick's after a rather dangerous experience caused by the wish of the week.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Nick's favorite superhero loses his powers if he smells pizza.