Wild Animal Baby Explorers is a series currently airing on weekends on many PBS stations and also available on home video. The series aims to teach very young audiences about animals and nature through a group of young animals that explore the world around them. The series blends mediums by using CGI animation for the main animation, Adobe Flash for the characters' Imagine Spots and actual footage of nature from the archives of National Wildlife Foundation as the characters get out into nature and explore. The series is based on an early property, a magazine called Wild Animal Baby and was preceded by an earlier home video property also called simply Wild Animal Baby featuring mostly the same characters, but without Sammy the Skunk.The series is presented in widescreen HD where available.
Wild Animal Baby Explorers features examples of:
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: Izzy the owl is the only example, as a blue owl. The others all have normal coloring for their type of animal.
- Catch Phrase: Skip's "Never fear, I have Explora-gear!"
- Diurnal Nocturnal Animal: Izzy the owl.
- Early Installment Weirdness: In many of the earlier installments, Benita has a very odd character model - much larger eyes and a differently shaped head. It seems as if they were trying to make her cuter, but the overall appearance comes off as if they had taken an incomplete CG render and plopped in into the finished show. Curiously, even in these earlier installments, Benita's later character model is still seen in the show's opening sequence. Additionally, the opening theme tune doesn't sound quite as fast-paced and the character's names aren't called out loud when they appear on-screen.
- Edutainment Show: Mostly teaches kids about animals, but also often promotes basic Aesops and pro-social values
- Expressive Ears: Skip the rabbit, to a limited degree
- Gadgeteer Genius: Skip the rabbit
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal: There is at least a slightly different variation for each character:
- Skip the Rabbit wears shorts but no shirt.
- Sammy the Skunk wears overalls but no shirt.
- Izzy the Owl wears only an aviator cap and goggles.
- Benita the Beaver wears a tee shirt but no pants.
- Miss Sally the Salamander wears a vest but no pants.
- Imagine Spot: Usually at least Once per Episode, presented in Adobe Flash
- Medium Blending
- The Mentor: Miss Sally
- The Owl-Knowing One: Izzy the owl knows a lot of things, but isn't always a good sport when he gets something wrong or has to admit he doesn't know something.
- Theme Tune Roll Call: As already mentioned, only in the latter installments. The earlier ones don't have it.