"Spike's my hero, because he's so big and strong!"
"Tree for Two" is a 1952 Looney Tunes
short directed by Friz Freleng
. Spike is a big tough bulldog, and Chester is his worshipful spaniel sidekick. One day the two dogs, looking for something to do, decide to beat up a cat. They encounter Sylvester
, here without Tweety, who runs and hides in an old junkyard. Spike goes into the junkyard to beat up Sylvester, but what he doesn't know is that a black panther that recently escaped from a zoo is also hiding there. Spike keeps getting beaten up by the panther, to the consternation of Chester, who finds Sylvester instead and beats him up. At the end, Spike, convinced that Chester is tougher than he is, is now Chester's worshipful sidekick.
One of The 100 Greatest Looney Tunes
- Aside Comment: Chester tells the camera "Spike is my hero, because he's so big and strong", Spike says the same thing at the end, and Spike tells the camera "the pussycat's gonna scratch me" when Sylvester is pathetically threatening with his claws.
- By the Lights of Their Eyes: "I can see your cowardly yellow eyes and I'm coming in after ya!"
- Clean Cut: The panther slices Spike into cross-sections. He reassembles.
- For the Evulz: Why Spike and Chester decide to mess with Sylvester.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: Chester shakes Spike and says "Get ahold of yourself!" after Spike is freaked out by his first encounter with the panther.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Only the panther's eyes are visible as it hides among the wooded crates, right before it attacks Spike.
- Hero-Worshipper: Chester for Spike. Provides the picture on the trope page. By the end, Spike is hero-worshipping Chester.
- Hourglass Plot: Spike and Chester's roles are reversed by the end.
- Knight of Cerebus: The panther is pretty scary.
- Megaton Punch: Chester sends Sylvester flying, much to Spike's shock.
- Non-Indicative Name: There is no tree.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: Sylvester isn't as scary as the panther, but he's still bigger than little Chester, who throws Sylvester around with ease.
- Swapped Roles: When it's all over, Chester is the tough guy and Spike is his sidekick.
- Through a Face Full of Fur: Spike turns white after his encounter with the panther, as do his sweater and hat.