Western Animation: Satan's Waitin'
"Satan's Waitin'" is a 1954 Looney Tunes cartoon directed by Friz Freleng and starring Sylvester the Cat and Tweety Bird. In this one, Sylvester is chasing Tweety around a building, until he plunges over the edge to his death. But it turns out that cats have nine lives, so Sylvester has eight more to go. The Devil, who wants Sylvester for good, then encourages him to chase after Tweety, getting Sylvester killed over and over again.
- And I Must Scream: Sylvester goes to Hell, presumably, for eternal torment.
- Bowdlerization: When this cartoon aired on CBS in the 1970s and 1980s, two of Sylvester's deaths were edited:
- The death where he slams into the rollercoaster tunnel.
- The last death where he locks himself in a bank vault and gets blown up by two incompetent bank robbers during a nighttime heist.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Sylvester falls off a building, crushed by a steamroller, scared to death in a funhouse, shot multiple times in a shooting gallery, slams into a low-clearance entrance of a roller-coaster tunnel, and finally killed in an explosion.
- Cats Are Mean: There's no real explanation for what Sylvester has done that's destined him for Hell once he expends his 9 lives, aside from chasing Tweety, something presumably any other cat would do too.
- Cats Have Nine Lives: So Sylvester has to die nine times for the Devil to get him for good.
- Diabolus ex Machina: Sylvester, on his last life, gives up chasing Tweety and moves into a bank vault, taking a large supply of canned cat food with him. That night, he is killed by two bank robbers (who are also killed) after they use too much explosive trying to blow the vault open.
- Fire and Brimstone Hell: For Sylvester, the pit of torment is a bunch of barking demonic bulldogs, and the whole thing is reached by taking a down escalator.
- Fright Deathtrap: Sylvester has one of his lives literally scared out of him after he chases Tweety into an amusement park's haunted house.
- Hellevator: An escalator, actually, takes Sylvester to hell.
- Journey To The Underworld: Sylvester makes multiple trips as he loses lives.
- Looney Tunes in the Fifties
- Rooftop Confrontation: Sylvester chases Tweety to the top of a building. Sylvester falls off.
- Satan: Here he appears as Hector the bulldog, one of Sylvester's frequent tormentors.
- Squashed Flat: How Sylvester meets one of his deaths, when he's run over by a steamroller.
- Shooting Gallery: Sylvester loses four lives all at once when he gets stuck in one of these.
- Stairway to Heaven: The escalator to Heaven is roped off.
- Winged Soul Flies Off at Death: Happens every time Sylvester bites it.