Little Red Riding Rabbit is a 1944 Warner Bros. Merrie Melodies cartoon, directed by Friz Freleng, and starring Bugs Bunny. This is the first time Mel Blanc receives a credit for a cartoon.It is a parody of the Little Red Riding Hood story, in which Red, a typical 1940s teenage bobbysoxer with a very loud, grating voice, is bringing a rabbit [Bugs] to her grandma "to have". Of course, a big bad wolf is waiting for them.
Tropes Found in this Cartoon Include:
- Asshole Victim: Red
- The Bad Guy Wins: Bugs, annoyed by Red's interruptions, switches the Big Bad Wolf, who was about to fall onto red hot coals because of all the furniture Bugs threw on him, with Red. Bugs and the Wolf, arms around each other and sharing a carrot, watch proudly as Red soon gets what she deserves.
- The Ditz: Red attempts to show Bugs to himself and has some trouble remembering her lines to the Wolf.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: The Big Bad Wolf, as he usually is in Looney Tunes shorts.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: Red was being incredibly annoying, so Bugs puts her in the trap he set for the wolf instead.
- The Last Straw: There's a literal one and metaphorical one—Bugs is about to add the literal last straw on the pile the wolf is holding when Red interrupts...which to Bugs is the metaphorical last straw.Bugs: I'll do it but I'll probably hate myself in the morning.
- Never Mess with Granny: Though unseen, Red's grandmother is implied to be a Rosie the Riveter type who was out working a "swing" shift at Lockheed [an aircraft manufacturing company].
- Never Trust a Title: Bugs isn't in the Little Red Riding Hood role as the title (and title card) would imply.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed/Shout-Out: Red's voice is inspired by Cass Daley, a comic actress from screen and radio.
- No Indoor Voice: "HEEEEY GRANDMA!!! I BROTCHA A LIL' BUNNY RABBIT! TA'HAVE!!"
- Panty Shot: Just not the kind you usually expect, given the era. Also averted at the end when she does the "splits" in her dress, but modestly facing away from the camera.
- Road Sign Reversal: The wolf sends Red on the long way to Grandma's house.
- Running Gag: Red interrupting Bugs and the wolf.
- The Runt at the End: The wolf finds a bunch of other wolves in Grandma's bed and tells them to beat it. After he lies down he feels something stirring, a small wolf left over comes out and leaves.
- Scooby-Dooby Doors
- Sure, Let's Go with That:Red: HEY GRANDMA, WHAT BIG EYES/EARS YOU GOT?
Wolf: (sending Red out) Yeah yeah, big eyes/ears, big eyes/ears!
- The Unreveal: Red has already questioned the wolf on his big eyes, big nose, big ears and sharp teeth, and one wonders what she was planning to ask next when she interrupted for the last time.
- Verbal Tic: Red ends a lot of her lines with the exclamation "Ta' Have!", just another thing that makes her so very irritating.
- Wartime Cartoon: Red's grandmother working at an aircraft factory.