In 2061, master criminal Draxon Drear and his henchcreatures the Skugs are trapped in suspended animation beneath the Atlantic Ocean, after the Skugs damage the shuttle Drear was using in an attempt to escape to Mars.
In the year 3010, 13-year-old Jamie Jaren is the champion of the popular sport of Lazer Tagnote
. She is also the only person with the ability to use the Starlyte, the "gun" used in the game (both in the show and in the toyline), as more than a toy, primarily as a kind of telekinesis and (most importantly to the show's premise) travel through time. At least, she is until Draxon Drear is discovered and resurrected.
Drear, realizing the potential of the Starlyte, promptly steals one, takes himself and the Skugs back to the past, where he intends to murder the Starlyte's eventual inventor.
The cartoon, created by Ruby-Spears
, ran on NBC
This show provides examples of:
- Alliterative Name: Jamie and Draxon both have them.
- Didn't Think This Through: In the pilot episode, Draxon Drear traveled back in time to capture Beth to obtain a ransom from the future. Subverted in that neither he, nor anyone else, pointed out the flaw in his plan if he actually had to go through with his threat to kill her.
- Forklift Fu
- Green Lantern Ring: The Starlytes. "Point, and think."
- Parental Abandonment: Jamie's parents are never even mentioned.
- Plot Holes: Many of them. Per episode.
- Syndication Title: When Saban Entertainment acquired the series, it was re-released as "Laser Patrol", which aired on the Sci-Fi Channelnote (now "SyFy") for one season as part of a rotating half-hour of various different shows, and hasn't been seen since.
- Time Police: Jamie.