Western Animation / Gogs
Gogs is a Welsh claymation revolving around the lives of a family of cave-people, presented originally as 5-minute episodes that were later agglutinated into 10-minute ones for the VHS release.
The show relied on slapstick and toilet humour for its comedy, and characters 'talk' only in grunts, yells, belches etc. rather than speech.
This show includes examples of:
- All There in the Manual: None of the characters are named in the show itself, but each character is named in supplementary material in The Other Wiki. To whit:
- Gogas, the long-haired grandfather.
- Oglas, the Neanderthal-like family patriarch.
- Ogla, the bear-like family matriarch.
- Ogo, the dimwitted son.
- Igi, the long-haired daughter.
- Girj, the baby son.
- Badass Grandpa: Despite being the eldest of the clan, Gogas is still a club-wielding berserker who eagerly leaps into the fray and racks up quite an impressive array of victories over the course of the series.
- Genius Ditz: Though generally dim looking (as much as the rest of the family anyway), Igi is the go-to scientist and inventor, capable of constructing aircraft, and discovering the mass-energy equivalence formula whilst building a swing.
- Humiliation Conga: Gogas, Ogo, and Oglas are the most common victims of this, especially after a disastrous hunting trip which sees Ogo and Oglas beaten up by dinosaurs, shit stained, pissed upon and generally humbled.
- Mother Bear: Ogla, matriarch and toughest family member, especially when her baby is endangered.
- My Kung-Fu Is Stronger Than Yours: It turns out velociraptors make excellent martial artists.
- Sadist Show: Pretty much every episode revolves around the family suffering at the hands of either each other or the indigenous wildlife.
- Shoot the Shaggy Dog: The ending of the series, in the form of the finale "Gogwana". The Gogs have escaped their destroyed homeland, rescued Gogas' long-lost wife, killed the Cannibal Tribe that took her, evaded Ray the T-Rex, and found a beautiful, verdant new home to settle in. Zoom out to space to reveal that the "shining star" they followed to reach their new home is a meteorite on direct collision course with the Earth... and, as the screams of the family make perfectly clear, they just reached ground zero, seconds before it slams into the planet with a huge fireball, quite obviously killing them all.
- Toilet Humour: Much of the humour revolves around farting, shitting and physical violence that somehow includes the other two.
- Vulgar Humour: The copious amounts of grotesquery and bodily fluids are intended to be seen as comedic.
- Women Are Wiser: Zigzagged with Igi, who, whilst clearly more intelligent than the other Gogs, is rather flighty and impractical. Played straigh with Ogla, who is the most sensible and competent of all the Gogs.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: Averted. Ogla and Oglas go at it without any reservation. Though generally avoiding fighting, Igi occasionally gets roughed up too.