Western Animation / Ernest Le Vampire
Ernest Le Vampire is a French aninmated series written by François Bruel in SEK Studio, and directed by José Xavier, that originally ran from 1989 to 1991 on France 3. It has been shown in English speaking countries as "Ernest The Vampire".
Each episode is around 2 minutes and 30 seconds long, features no dialogue, and follows the activities of the title character, Ernest, a (somewhat elephant like) vampire. The plot of the episode can range from following Ernest's failed attempts to find victims (most likely to drink their blood) to Ernest attempting a simple daily chore that ends up going awry.
Every single episode, ends badly for Ernest, and at times even results in his death, but the episode is always revealed to be All Just a Dream
This series provided examples of:
- All Just a Dream: Every single episode ended this way.
- Animate Inanimate Object: Happens in some episodes;
- One nightmare featured several objects coming to life, including Ernest's home itself
- Another nightmare featured Ernest's sewing machine coming to life after he thumped it in frustration - it wasn't pleased.
- Catapult Nightmare: Ernest always awoke from his nightmares by sitting up in his coffin, and then closing it, and going back to sleep.
- Dead All Along: La Belle Inconnue although it may be more accurate to say that she is Undead All Along
- Death Is Cheap: The fact that every episode is a dream allows the creators to come up with new ways for Ernest to (in a sense) die in almost every episode.
- Swallowed Whole: A recurring way that the nightmares would end for Ernest.
- Fur Against Fang: In one episode, Ernest's intended victim has a pet dog who is also a werewolf, as you probably guessed - Fang loses to Fur in this example.
- Forgot About His Powers: Ernest can fly, but there are still several moments when he falls, during the nightmares and makes no attempt to save himself.
- In one episode, Ernest cheats to get through a labyrinth by... crashing through the walls, when he could have easily flown over them.
- Gone Horribly Wrong: Whenever Ernest attempts something, chances are it will end this way.
- Kill It with Fire: Happened to Earnest in one episode, thanks to a dragon.
- Once per Episode: The All Just A Dream, and Catapult Nightmare entries mentioned above.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Ernest looks more like an anthropomorphic elephant than anything, despire being clearly portrayed as a vampire. At least one episode implies that he is either related to or descended from elephants.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: As mentioned above, one episode features a dog who becomes a werewolf.
- Shout-Out: One episode has Ernest dress in a costume that fans of Disney's Fantasia (particually The Sorcerer's Apprentice) will recognise. Take note of the music in that scene as well.
- Too Dumb to Live: Ernest will, at times make very bad decisions that will ultimately lead to his "death" when are more simple one would have been safer. It's debatable if he would be like this when he's awake though, as a nightmare will always end badly.
- In one episode Ernest attempts to stop a flip-flopping staircase by weighing the bottom down with heavy objects (which leads to him being crushed, when it all goes wrong). It never occurs to him to simply jump over the part that goes down (and oh yeah, he can fly).