Webcomic: The Space Between
I can't even remember when or why it happened. I had it all... a decent job at a nice restaurant... a friend who cared about me... even a nice downtown apartment... When did things change?The Space Between is a Slice of Life webcomic written by Shane McCarthy since November 2009. Publishing Monday and Friday, it is about the antics of a group of young adults, with the first chapter framed as an extended flashback from the perspective of the main character.The very first comic page shows the main character, Jack, apparently homeless and reminiscing about How We Got Here. Cut back to three years ago, when Jack is an aspiring sports journalist who works at a restaurant and is looking for a new roommate to help pay the bills. He hangs out constantly with his childhood friend, Samantha ("Sam"), although both insist that they are Just Friends. Sam works at a record store and is a hard partier. Frank is a geeky freelance web designer and med student who answers Jack's ad for a roommate. He finds himself a bit overwhelmed by Sam's outgoing personality.Jack and Sam throw a party to welcome their new roommate, and Sam brings along C.J., the new girl at the record store. Hilarity Ensues.The comic is still brand new, so much of the plot remains to be determined. It may be slightly NSFW.
This webcomic features the following tropes:
- Bi the Way: Sam, when alcohol is involved.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Sam, after a less than successful musical gig.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: Frank certainly thinks so.
- Good Bad Girl: Sam.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Sam.
- How We Got Here: Subverted. At the start of the Chapter 1 flashback, Jack appears to be homeless, and we expect that the story will be about how he lost his job and his friends. When the story cuts back to this scene, his bum outfit turns out to be a Halloween costume and he's made it big as a sports blogger.
- Just Friends: Jack and Sam's relationship, since they were both kids, with all the UST that the trope implies.
- Ms. Fanservice: Sam.
- My Greatest Failure: Sam's got a few skeletons in her closet, most particularly an epically humiliating musical gaffe that made her give up on performing in public.
- Name's the Same: Author Shane McCarthy should not be confused with the guy who wrote those awful Transformers comics.
- Nosebleed: Happens to Frank on being flashed by Sam.
- Not What It Looks Like: Jack and Sam playing "strip chicken".
- Title Drop: Via Stealth Pun.
- Scenery Censor: Sam's frequent (and casual) nudity always has the naughty bits obscured, if only barely.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Jack and Sam.
- What Did I Do Last Night?: Happens to Sam a lot.