is a horror/comedy webcomic
by Chris M. Cantrell which focuses on a family composed of Jack, a masked killer and loving husband and father. Elizabeth, a vampiress and pretty sensible wife/mother and their daughter Morgan, a half human hybrid whose your typical teenager. As of 2011 the family gained a son, Victor, who more then likely is starting to take after his father. The comic also focuses on their friends and extended family of their town of Necroblivion.
Has a prequel Teenage Vampire Mystery Squad
, which focuses on a teenage Elizabeth solving mysteries with her sister and friend. Yes monsters solving mysteries, go fig
The Deadlys provides following tropes:
- An Arm and a Leg: As a bug assassin learns the hard way.
- An Axe to Grind: Jack wields a few on occasion
- Affably Evil: The whole family and community they live in but then again they are monsters.
- All-Ghouls School: Mostly the strips focusing on Morgan.
- Bad Future: A arc that start with Elizabeth and Apollyon oddly sharing dreams and seeking out a dream specialist to figure out why. Going into Elizibeth's dream leads the specialist to this where he finds out he was responsible for causing it.
- Between My Legs: This strip
- Canon Discontinuity: The Halloween special in 2011 that involved Morgan getting her wished granted to become older and the wish granter getting destroyed leaving her stuck in that state. Oh yeah and Jack become a clown. Chris made it clear he was parodying The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror specials.
- Likewise for the 2012 Halloween comics. This seems to be a tradition.
- Cliff Hanger: When the comic went into hiatus, the final arc sees Jack charged with finding a human who wandered into Necroblivion. Ultimately he fails and his boss closes the portal to the human world as a fail safe to keep anymore from getting through, but strands the entire monster population in their own dimension. Which is bad for the Deadlys as both Elizabeth and Jack do nightly killings (much more important in the former's case as she needs blood to survive). Jack vows to hunt down the human and kill him.
- Companion Cube: The flour sack that Mina carries around to prep for a baby to Zander's chargin. When she officially gets pregnant, Zander's more then happy to "dispose" of it.
- Crash-Into Hello: This Strip
- Cute Monster Girl: Morgan and Neferai to name a few
- Emergency Transformation: Jack does this to Daniel to get the search called off on him. First by having to kill him and chop his body parts to pieces then taking him to a witch doctor to put him back together albeit in a Frankenstein fashion.
- Frankenstein's Monster: Zander and Mina Daniel winds up like this later in the strip.
- Guest Strip: Necromas, a week long (or two depending on how many entries there are) event that allows artists to submit a strip to showcase. As the name suggest, it's done usually near the end of the year to give the author a break.
- Headless Horseman: One of the recurring characters of the strip whom has a rivalry with Jack
- Hot Witch: Autumn
- In Love with Your Carnage: When Meek probes Elizabeth's dreams, he's delighted at how apocalyptic it is.
- I Was Quite a Looker: Elizabeth's mother. Who actually doesn't look bad in her older state either.
- Longest Pregnancy Ever: Mina seems to "bake her goods" a bit differently then most women.
- Monster Mash
- Mummy: Nefeari and her family
- Obnoxious In-Laws: The father of whom clearly hates Jack.
- Our Vampires Are Different: They can get pregnant for one resulting in odd dreams and sleepwalking. They can also get sick from overeating on blood.
- Over Protective Dad: Jack when he finds out Morgan met a boy.
- Papa Wolf: Say what you will about Jack but you don't mess with his family
- Self-Made Orphan: Morgan in the 2012 Halloween comics when she takes a spell that makes everyone except her human. She tries her best to convince them she's not making up the story, but when they don't believe her. She figures, since they're human that makes them "lunch"!
- She's All Grown Up: Viona, compare her appearance in TVMS to her official appearance in The Deadlys.
- Stylistic Suck: Super Jack Saves Christmas.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: The Headless Horseman finally hooking up with the Syliva the Succubus.
- The Faceless Jack
- Tomato Surprise: Daniel, the boy Morgan has a crush on, turns out to be the stray human Jack was looking for.
Teenage Vampire Mystery Squad