A relatively new comic that started on deviantART
and eventually made its way over to SmackJeeves
. It started late December of 2012, and updates every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.
The story, written and drawn by a teenage girl with the pen name "Haru" ( her deviantART page can be viewed here
), it is done entirely traditionally, in a unique take on the anime style.
The story is about a young girl named Seven Shirokami (who Word of God
says is about 14 years old) who was created by an unseen god with the power to "Create" things. She, along with six others in the same situation, are called Cosmos, and reside on the fictional planet of Origen, where they each create a "region" according to their primary element.
Overall, it's a relatively lighthearted comic, although Word of God
has said that there are darker things to come.The comic is only on it's fourth chapter so far.
Shameless contains examples of
- All There in the Manual: Word of God promises us information about vague or unexplained things in the form of omake theaters as well as her own artist's comments.
- For example: The other six Cosmos don't get their personalities explored much in-comic. So instead, the artist gave us this (scroll down to her comments section, below the picture) to tell us their names and a bit about them.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: The first omake, a 4koma, was this, with Seven explaining why she looks different than the other Cosmos.
- Butt Monkey: The other six Cosmos really look down on Seven. They spend the entirety of the second page talking crap about her.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Seven. She may be fourteen, but she thinks like a five year old.
- Curtains Match The Windows: Averted. Seven has brown hair and blue eyes, Dawn has white hair and dark brown eyes, and we can't even see Death's eyes.
- Foreshadowing: Word of God says that nearly everything that happens is important later on.
- Specifically, this and this raise some questions.
- Word of God has confirmed that to be Seven, and has even hinted that it has some effect on her mental well-being
- This has been confirmed in-comic to be Seven, as of chapter four page six.
- Eldritch Abomination: The six Cosmos besides Seven can count as this.
- Giant Waist Ribbon: In chapter three, when Seven finally changes from a plain white dress into a short kimono.
- Idiot Hair: Seven has one of these.
- Apparently, it was originally given to her to set her apart in appearance from a character that looked similar to her. The artist later realized how appropriate it was for her to have the ahoge, and kept it.
- As seen here, Death Taiyou has a small one as well. Whether it's fitting or not we have yet to see, although by the facial expressions that can be seen through his hair on this page, it is rather appropriate that he have an Idiot Hair.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Chapter Four starts with Seven crying because she is so lonely.
- Limited Wardrobe: Every cover page so far has Seven in the same white dress.
- Although, her wardrobe isn't as limited as of Chapter Three, where she makes herself a kimono out of clouds. Since she can do that, it's probably safe to assume that she can create herself a whole entire wardrobe if she really wanted to.
- But one must remember, in-comic, only a few days have passed. It's only natural that she would only have one or two outfits. We probably just haven't seen any others yet.
- Little Bit Beastly: Whenever Seven uses the full extent of her powers (i.e., to create living creatures), we see this.
- Meaningful Name: Seven, the main character, was the seventh Cosmo created. The other six Cosmos follow a similar pattern, although their numbers are in Japanese, and their names also give away what their primary element is.
- The artist stated herself that every single character in Shameless has a meaningful name.
- Even Seven's surname (Shirokami) becomes important later on, according to Word of God.
- Dawn Inurei's name is meaningful because she's a morning person who loves dogs (inu is the Japanese word for "dog")
- Moe: Seven. Definitely Seven.
- Considering the fact that she's fourteen, she could be hovering around Loli territory.
- Muggles: Compared to the other Cosmos, Seven appears as such at first glance. She has the exact same powers as the rest of them, though. This is probably why they look down on her.
- It really doesn't help that she needed help from Hanago to learn how to create things.
- No Name Given: None of the Cosmos besides Seven have a last name. Word of God says that this is because Seven was human in a past life. That's also why she appears human when the others don't.
- Self-Insert Fic: The artist has blatantly admitted that Seven is based on her. She has even said that Shameless's true backstory is what happened if things in the eighth grade had gone downhill for the artist.
- Stalker with a Crush: Although it hasn't actually been shown in comic yet, this Valentine and Word of God hint that this will be in the near future.
- Since the author has said that many characters are introduced in chapter four, it is probably safe to assume that we will meet her crush within a few weeks.
- Yandere: Like the Stalker with a Crush example, it hasn't been seen yet, but Word of God says that Seven is a yandere.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Averted. So far, the only two characters (Seven Shirokami and Death Taiyou) that are human in appearance have natural hair colors (brown and black, respectively).
- But then there's the newly introduced Dawn, who has white hair. Unless she's eighty, that's definitely not natural. Not to mention that Seven's Little Bit Beastly side of her has hair that goes from white roots to black tips, similar to Hatsuharu from Fruits Basket.