Webcomic: Even In Arcadia
Even in Arcadia is a fantasy webcomic by Anise Shaw. The comic begins with Kendrion Lochdale traveling to see Master Odai, an Emerged in Niyam, a foreign country to him. Through Kendrion we are introduced to Odai's apprentice, Laelen, with whom he shares a hometown. Laelen is under stress because she is the first foreign apprentice to an Emerged and many native Fae treat her with contempt and racism.Even in Arcadia was started in March 2011 in colour, it now updates in black and white with sporadic colour pages on Tuesdays.
- The Bartender: Kendrion spends time in the first chapter pouring his rejected heart out to a barmaid who ends up giving him advice.
- Fantastic Racism: Laelen is subject to this in almost every scene dealing with a Fae who is not Odai.
- Fantasy Counterpart Culture: The author explicitly states that the story is an allegory of 19th Century China and their relationship with British Imperialists.
- Functional Magic: All magic shown so far in the story is this, and Emergence seems to be almost like a type of magic neurology.
- Retired Badass and Old Master are very apt descriptions of Master Odai.