Webcomic: Doctor Cat
Doctor Cat (http://doctorcatmd.com/) is a webcomic about a cat who is a doctor. The comic is updated regularly and mainly runs on cuteness and its own quirky sense of humor.
Doctor Cat provides examples of:
- Alt Text
- Ambiguously Brown: Human Nurse.
- Ambiguously Gay: Human Nurse, judging by the deep blush he gets when discussing the "pretty handsome" Dr. Quincy.
- Archive Panic: In-universe, with regards to the Show Within a Show, Specific Hospital.Human Paralegal: Well, it is a little bit confusing...
Lawyer Cat: Only if you haven't seen the previous 1,674 episodes.
- Attention Deficit Oh Shiny: Doctor Cat may take a nap or start playing with a toy mouse in the middle of an operation.
- Burger Fool: After losing his medical license, Doctor Cat gets a job just like this, even renaming himself Burger Cat in the process. It lasts for two strips before he gets fired from this job too, for telling a patient ordering a massive meal of mostly bacon that they're going to have a heart attack.
- Black Humor: It's terminal!
- Catch Phrase:
- "It's terminal!" - Doctor Cat.
- "I'll bury you!" - Lawyer Cat.
- Each of the professions Doctor Cat considers after getting suspended in the first storyline comes with its own catchphrase. For example, as Burger Cat his catchphrase is "You're gonna have a heart attack!"
- Cat Smile: Of course.
- Cuteness Proximity: Some people fall into this when interacting with the doctor. Most notably the first patient, who is told that whatever she has is terminal but just looks at him and says "aw."
- Cute Kitten: Doctor Cat, of course.
- Dream-Crushing Handicap: "How are you going to operate without thumbs?"
- Everyone Has Standards: Although he's not really evil, Lawyer Cat is definitely a ruthless attorney with a love of money. However when accused of planting evidence to secure a conviction his response is sincere outrage at the idea he would ever do something so dishonest.
- Evil Counterpart: Subverted with Lawyer Cat, who is ruthless but not really evil.
- Failed a Spot Check: Human Nurse, when Human Paralegal goes undercover as a patient in "Doctor Cat & The Quack" and he fails to notice Lawyer Cat "hiding" in her sweater.Human Nurse: Um, Ms. Cat, we're ready for you... as soon as you're done yelling at your sweater...
- Frivolous Lawsuit: Invoked in the storyline "Doctor Cat & The Quack", when Doctor Cat enlists Lawyer Cat's help to sue the new hotshot doctor he's jealous of, but lacking any real basis for a lawsuit they decide to sue over something inconsequential.Lawyer Cat: Sometimes it's fun to sue for insignificant reasons!
- Generic Name:
- Doctor Cat is apparently named just Doctor Cat. When his license is suspended he changes it to just "Cat" and each time he gets a new job (or imagines himself having a new job) he changes his name to fit.
- Judging by the mailbox seen in this strip, it would seem that Human Nurse's name is actually Human Nurse.
- Subverted by Lawyer Cat. He's introduced as and almost always goes by "Lawyer Cat" but the "Doctor Cat & The Quack" storyline reveals that his name is Lowell.
- Grotesque Cute: Every now and then Doctor Cat will do something that is incredibly cute and disturbing at the same time, like kneading on a human heart.
- Hilarity Ensues: All the time, no matter how serious the situation.
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog: Doctor Cat pulls this during the second Q&A strip when asked about his medical credentials. He abruptly declares it time to go while staring at his wrist with no watch.
- Mathematician's Answer: One of the questions Doctor Cat had in fanmail is "Are you a boy or a girl?" The answer? "Um, no, I'm a cat"
- No Name Given: Human Nurse, as well as Lawyer Cat's owner, Human Paralegal. At least in Human Nurse's case he seems to be okay with it (and judging by his mailbox, that might actually be his name). Human Paralegal attempts on multiple occasions to give her real name, but is always cut off by Lawyer Cat.
- Something Completely Different:
- After getting his license to practice medicine revoked, Doctor Cat briefly works as a burger joint cashier, and later he considers several different careers, each time showing him in a different outfit and with a different catchphrase,
- The "Professional Cats" storyline is all about Doctor Cat imagining himself as various different professions, including a ship captain and an artist.
- What the Hell, Hero?: In the Professional Cats storyline, Doctor Cat as Firefighter Cat gets one of these from the Fire Chief for rescuing other cats but leaving humans (Human Nurse, no less!) in the burning house.