Webcomic / Dax Comics
is a Science Fiction Webcomic
about the adventures of the interstellar mercenary D'artagnan Archimedes Xanthopoulos (who, for obvious reasons
, prefers to go by the name Dax).
Along with his cheerful sidekick Natalie, geeky technician Scooter, snarky ship A.I. Sally, and Team Pet
Lenny the cute squirrel
, they travel around doing oddball jobs (and in the process, poking fun at a lot of things).
This webcomic provides examples of:
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: Sally doesn't like answering to Dax, and gets a kick out of tormenting him (usually by using the lines of H.A.L.). She obeys Natalie and Scooter just fine.
- Bizarre Alien Biology: Apparently, orcs have their brains located in their crotch.
- Boom, Headshot: Double subversion. First, Dax discovers that this doesn't work on orcs. Later, he tries to kill goblins in the same way one kills orcs, only to discover that this does work on goblins.
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: Dax is stuck calling Natalie "Girl", since she initially refuses to give him her real name. She later opens up a little more.
- Fluffy the Terrible: Lenny, who looks like a squirrel, but is really a vicious alien.
- Groin Attack: It's the fastest way to kill orcs, since that's where their brains are located.
- I'm Taking Her Home with Me!: Natalie tries to pull this several times, but Dax stops her. Finally, she manages to succeed, which is how Lenny joins the group.
- Lost World: Played with. Apparently dinosaurs were advanced enough to leave Earth for an alien planet. Then they exiled their more stupid members back there, and thus evolved further.
- Parental Abandonment: Heavily implied that Natalie suffers from this. It explains why she goes out of her way to get along with Dax's family.
- The Social Darwinist: The evolved dinosaurs, who claim they got that way by kicking out the less intelligent members of their collective species. Later, they backed Hitler.
- Spaceship Girl: Parodied. Scooter comes with the idea of giving Sally this as a feature. Due to his implementation, Natalie shoots the idea down.
- Stupid Jetpack Hitler: Apparently Hitler's ideas were quite appealing to some of the evolved dinosaurs.
- Tempting Fate: Pretty much a Running Gag. Natalie comments on how simple or easy something was, and things instantly get worse. Dax calls her out on it every time.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Dax and Scooter. They supposedly have a history of disliking each other going back to high school (where Dax bullied Scooter), yet they typically work together fairly well.