Web Video: Tenchi Muyo Abridged
Yosho: "TENCHI! There's lesbians in the house! Ah... one for me... and ANOTHER for me!"
The Abridged Series of Tenchi Muyo!
. This series focuses more on characterisation than Lampshade Hanging
, unlike many other Abridged series.
The key to Tenchi Muyo Abridged's humour is in the characters' personalities, which receive a marked change from their original counterparts. The series is fast paced, both in action sequences
. The writing in Tenchi Muyo Abridged is takes few influences from pop culture and other abridged series, and is based more in the characters reacting to one another and the insanity that surround them; creating more like a Gag Series
who happens to had the same characters, more or less. While Flanderization does exist, it would be easier to take the Characters as new entities for those who aren't fans and like their psychotic versions for those who are.
The editing displays a lot of heavy footage tampering, with various things inserted or characters pasted in where they shouldn't be. This became so intense in the season finale that its entire ending was a completely new sequence not seen in the anime at all. (The creators stated that the anime's original ending was such a big anticlimax
that they decided to fix it.)
This show provides examples of:
- The Alcoholic: Ayeka and Ryoko like to get wasted and share... intimate moments.
- Accidental Pervert: Subverted. In the original series, Tenchi objected to the girls' exposure to him, while in this series he seems to enjoy it.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Kagato and Washu are this to Ryoko.
- Catch Phrase: Although not a series that relies on catchphrases, several come to mind:
- Tenchi tends to shout "AHHHHHHH FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK!" and "Awkward!".
- Yosho has a whole new way of saying "women" or "woman".
- Ayeka likes to remind everyone that she is "THE PRINCEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS!"
- Kagato says "Mmbitch" instead of bitch, and its his first word after his defeat.
- Lately Nobuyuki has had a habit of shouting "HOT!".
- The Cameo: There are quite a few:
- In Episode 2, Ayeka fires a "warning shot" that wipes out the young versions of the Digimon Adventure 01 crew.
- In Episode 7, the entire Star Trek crew appears to try and defeat Kagato. Spock is sent in and dies.
- In Episode 10, Edward and Alphonse Elric are forcefully pulled from their world onto Kagatos ship by accident.
- In Episode 10, Kagato tries to fire a shot at Earth, but he misses and hits the moon, which permanently turns into the Soul Eater Moon.
- In Episode 14, a clip from Ouran Abridged is inserted as the "tv show" the gang is watching, at the time Lighthawkforce were taking on an Ouran High School Host Club abridged but later scrapped it in favor of reviving Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Abridged.
- Another cameo in that episode is made by Salad Fingers as an escapee from Washu's lab.
- In Episode 16, Edward and Alphonse appear once more, this time it is revealed the tenchi Abridged universe is situated in the "light" of Alphonse's eye. Alphonse claims the "voices are talking to him again" which Ed immediately dismisses as a hoax as there's "no such thing as abridged series".
- Character Exaggeration:
- Tenchi's sarcastic attitude in the original is distorted so much that he wishes some of the main characters were dead.
- One joke in the original anime showing Nobuyuki filming his son "having sex" has turned his character in the abridged into a horrible pathetic sexual fanatic who would have sex with his own son.
- Yosho's strict nature with Tenchi is played with so much that he has become a slave driver and seems to hate Tenchi. His womanising has turned into sexism with a hint of womanising.
- Kagato liked to show off in the original anime. In this series he is portrayed as trying too hard to look cool while trying to be a good father.
- Mihoshi wasn't too bright in the original, but was shown to be competent enough. In this series she's Too Dumb to Live.
- Don't Explain the Joke: T
Tenchin: (laughing) "They censored her face."
Ryoko: "Feel lucky you're in this episode at all"
- Dumb Blonde: Mihoshi is the definition of this trope. She even forgets people she just met.
- Follow the Leader: A theme is the anime's obscurity and lack of popularity because it isn't like Naruto, Bleach and Dragonball Z. As a result it is heavily edited to appeal more to this kind of audience. Episode 10's one-off opening is from Bleach.
- Jerk Ass: This pretty much describes everyone in the series, even Sasami who was sweet girl in the original became quite a uncaring brat in this series. It's all Played for Laughs of course
- Odd Couple: A few examples in this series:
- Azaka and Kamidake, although minor characters in the original, have proven popular enough to become a bickering duo with various differing opinions and personalities, yet are forced to put up with each other's company. This has driven them a little loopy if Azaka's latest nightmare is anything to go by.
- Tenchi and Yosho: Tenchi is a sarcastic whiny idiot, while Yosho is a strict womanising sexist slave driver. This creates a hilarious antagonism between them, making Tenchi absolutely hate his grandfather, as opposed to his undying respect for him in the original series.
- Tenchi and... any of the girls, really. None of them match him in personality, which makes him dislike a lot of them.
- Running Gag: Though not extremely prevalent, the "Friends Speech" Tenchi busted out on Kagato.
Zero: "Love: It's a feeling you get deep down in your heart when the right person presents themselves to you."
- Shout-Out: Two of the creators of The Lighthawk Force are also behind Fullmetalforce who abridge Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. In episode 10, Mihoshi tries to help Ryoko with her cube device, but instead manages to summon a very confused Edward and Alphonse Elric. It is not explained how they were sent back, if at all. However, this doesn't affect the continuity of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Abridged.
- The Stinger: After the credits to the season finale, Kagato's seemingly lifeless hand is seen floating through space. It suddenly opens up and teleports away, with a faint voice saying, "Mmbitch."
- A more recent example, after the second seasons finale credits, we see once more Kagato's hand drifting through space. This time towards the Galaxy Hospital, hinting at his eventual return. Which was later confirmed when TLF announced they were going to take on the Tenchi Universe saga next.
- Too Dumb to Live: Mihoshi shows us many times that she would probably be dead if it weren't for Kiyone or Tenchi and the gang.