"Herzlich willkommen bei retro-tv!"Retro-tv
is a German video blog
, hosted by Henning Harperath and Paddy Kroetz, existing since 2009.
It usually begins with Henning and Paddy opening an old (the range so far has been from The Sixties
to the early Nineties
) volume of the German tv magazine Hörzu
and looking up what tv had to offer on a specific day, decades in the past. They pick out three different shows to review, by first showing a bit of footage of it, and then talking about it. It caters to nostalgia of course, but is also very interesting if you want to know what (West German
) tv was like long before you were born.note
Can be found here
(sorry, only in German).
Retro-tv has examples of:
- Executive Meddling: Henning and Paddy often point out when the German version of a foreign show has "missing episodes", which were never dubbed, let alone broadcasted, mostly for reasons unknown.
- German Media: German tv history is this vlog's theme. While the hosts also review lots of imported dubbed stuff, they also feature old shows originating from Germany, many of them very obscure today.
- Gushing About Shows You Like: Many of the shows Henning and Paddy review here, were seen by at least one of them in his own childhood.
- Hey, It's That Guy! and Hey, It's That Voice!: Henning and Paddy point out when an old show has a voice actor/regular actor/puppeteer/scriptwriter etc better known for other stuff. This trope can also apply to Paddy, who is also known for hosting shows for the tv channel SuperRTL.
- Unlimited Wardrobe: Henning and Paddy always wear t-shirts with pop-culture Shout Outs, different ones in every episode. Most of the time though, the shirts have no connection to the specific tv shows they are reviewing in the respective episode.
- Widget Series: If a Television show with an unusual enough concept has been cancelled and even stopped being rerun, a long time before you were born, thus causing you having never heard from it before, it can have this effect on you.