Web Video / Mortal Komedy
is a tongue-in-cheek series created by Phelan Porteous (aka Phelous
) and Joel Adams, which spoofs the Mortal Kombat
The basic premise is that Shang Tsung has marketed a soul-stealing shampoo, and it's up to Earth's heroes to stop him. Trouble is, they're all pretty much idiots. It's chock full of references, mythology gags and in-jokes to the game series, so fans of the games may find a lot of humour in it.
On February 25th, 2010, the series went on hiatus, with the last episode being a holiday special. However, Sub-Zero does occasionally reappear in Phelous' reviews, and on February 2016, a new episode was finally released.
This series provides examples of:
- April Fools' Day: Here. Interestingly enough, it references the events of Mortal Kombat: Deception at the beginning.
- Aborted Arc: Some story elements seem to vanish, never to be explained again. Examples include Smoke's sudden change from a gruff stoner to a dopey tag-along, Cage's hinted rivalry with Kano, Liu Kang and Smoke's quest to defeat Shang Tsung, and Sonya's rescue.
- Bad "Bad Acting": Johnny Cage in episode 1. His actor even commented that he was trying to hold back his laughter during those scenes. He got better in later episodes, though.
- Bald of Evil: Baraka
- Berserk Button: Don't touch Raiden's piano, it is for lesser Gods only! Liu Kang found this out the hard way.
- Big Bad: Shao Kahn. You were expecting the Addams family?
- Blatant Lies: This line from Raiden.
Raiden: *creates a portal using his powers despite him saying his powers don't work in Outworld* That...doesn't count as "powers".
- The Bus Came Back: Johnny Cage's director in Episode 8, who returns to taunt Cage only to be hurled off of the hill by him.
- Butt-Monkey: Liu Kang. Everyone seems to take a long hard dump on the poor guy in the story.
- Smoke and Sektor to a lesser extent.
- Call-Back: In Episode 2, when Shang Tsung disguised himself as Raiden, his teleports were orange. Raiden lampshades this in Episode 3, and proceeds to show them what colour his teleports really are.
Raiden: You two retards! It was Shang Tsung! Didn't you see him teleport ORANGE?! Look, BLUE. *teleports* BLUE. *teleports* BLUUUUUUE!! *teleports*
- Canada, Eh?: They frequently travel to Oatworld, among other examples.
- Catch-Phrase: A few.
- Rayden: Let me check the PI-LOT. and Noooooooooooooooooooope.
- Cage: Damn it, I'm Johnny Cage!
- Shang Tsung: I've got a NEW plan!
- Smoke: SHUT UP.
- Cool Hat: Raiden. He gets an even bigger one in the Holiday special.
- Deader Than Dead: Sindel. She dies in the 3rd Holiday Special, and is turned into a sugar cookie and eaten by Santa in the 4th.
- Deadpan Snarker: Almost everybody at some point, but Sub-Zero can take this to new heights. Phelous being the actor behind the mask doesn't hurt, either.
- Fat Bastard: Shao Kahn. Santa Claus when he's evil.
- Flat "What.": Delivered whenever a character says something completely stupid or doesn't make a lick of sense.
- Groin Attack: Johnny Cage delivers one to his director when he tells him the name of the movie.
- Grumpy Bear: Sub-Zero.
- Heel–Face Revolving Door: Smoke, due to a spell. He seems to have settled back on the good side, though. Santa as well. Sugar seems to play a part in this.
- I Am Legion: Ermac. Played for laughs in the 2nd Holiday special when his souls get each other presents.
- Keet: Kano.
- Killed Off for Real: Batman in the MK vs DC special.
- Large Ham: Shang Tsung, AND HOW.
Shang Tsung: Just ME?
I'm the stealer of souls! I'm the sorceror of the dark arts!
- Lethal Chef: Baraka, quite literally.
- Nice Hat: Kung Lao, but after he gets it back from the dry cleaners.
- Not a Morning Person: Sub-Zero. Don't ruin his breakfast.
- Older Than They Look: Sub-Zero and Johnny Cage. They've apparently been around since the 60's.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Shang Tsung can pull off perfect morphs, but his Large Ham tendencies can make him come off as Obviously Evil. The heroes don't catch on.
- Pungeon Master: Kung Lao.
Kung Lao: (sees Kitana throw a fan at Liu) Fan Throw. Get it? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!
- Shout-Out: The Time Travel episode has Rayden and Sub-Zero drawn in the style of Eskimo Bob, followed by an homage to Bad Dudez, and then the ending to Super Mario Bros. 2.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Liu Kang. He sees himself as the "Mortal Fighting Champion", but is comically inept.
- The Stoner: Smoke.
- Take That!: The MK vs DC video seems to be one to the concept of the game itself.
Sub-Zero: (referring to playground) Well, Smoke. I thought this was the most appropriate spot to fight Batman at."
Smoke: Why's that?
Sub-Zero: Because. This whole fight is ridiculous.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Sub-Zero and ice-cream. Reptile uses it as a trap in Episode 3.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: Much to Cage's dismay, the actor playing Vega is a guy.
- Vitriolic Best Buds/Those Two Guys: Sub-Zero and Johnny Cage.
- What the Fu Are You Doing?: Fight scenes tend to look pretty goofy. In-universe, Raiden lampshades this with Liu Kang.
Raiden: I see your housekeeping is as good as your fighting.
Liu Kang: Shut up!