Web Animation: Kiwi!
Kiwi! is an animated short made for creator Dony Permedi's master's thesis in animation. It tells the story of a very determined kiwi bird who works to accomplish his dream. At only two minutes and thirty seconds long, it might have the shortest "start-to-tearjerk" ratio of any cartoon around.Watch it on Youtube here. Bring tissues.
This animated short provides examples of:
- Ambiguous Ending: Done intentionally on behalf of the creator.
- Armless Biped: Well, it is about a Kiwi. He seems to be able to do most things he wants, but obviously not everything...
- Subverted - he does actually have tiny little wings.
- Bittersweet Ending: He gets what he wants in the end, but at a pretty steep cost.
- Bookends: Starts and ends with a title card displaying the word "Kiwi!".
- The Determinator: The Kiwi, definitely.
- Driven to Suicide: Implied. Kind of.
- Excited Show Title!: The exclamation mark on the end makes the one word a little more snappy.
- Goggles Do Nothing: They certainly don't stop the tears...
- Hammer Space: From whence he pulls an actual hammer, plus some nails.
- Mood Motif: Very effective. A tuba plays for the kiwi's first appearance. A glockenspiel plays during his flight. Cue the tears. A slowed down version of the same tune plays during the credits.
- Last Note Nightmare: The thump at the end.
- Mood Whiplash: After the you-know-what at the end, we are once again treated to the title screen "Kiwi!", which comes off as inappropriately cheerful given the circumstances...
- Single Tear: The Kiwi sheds one as he lives his dream of flying.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: A glockenspiel plays while the Kiwi implicitly kills itself.