Bannon killed Malashenko's wife and daughterMalashenko's wife was among the civilians whom Bannon opened fire upon during that one mission in Russia, since it's the only confirmed case of Americans killing Russian civilians in the game. Unless, of course, Mrs. Malashenko was in one of those apartment blocks that got demolished along the way.
Malashenko didn't die in SeattleIt's a bit of a neat wrap-up to say that Malashenko went to his death at Parker's hands in Seattle; he was clearly written with the intent that we would assume he's responsible for the final Soviet counter-attack against Sawyer's battalion, even with the invasion lost, and it would be a more interesting scenario if he were taken alive as a POW after his forces were annihilated.
The Soviet Union collapses not long after the invasion of America failsNicely bookending the alternate history, increased public awareness and unrest after a giant military failure, combined with their military both depleted and fighting on too many fronts without significant conquests to assimilate into the economy, leads to the Soviet Union dissolving either as an accelerated version of how it did in reality, or due to coup'de'etat and member secession motivated by the idea of a full-scale American counterattack.
- Said counterattack might very well happen anyway. One could easily imagine a newly-minted General Sawyer commanding an amphibious assault on Sakhalin Island or Vladivostok.
- Though considering the worn-out state of US forces in Europe, along with the fact that mainland China is opening up an entire new front, a counterattack on the USSR is rather optimistic and counterproductive.
Parker and Bannon are natives of SeattleExplains why they were both in Seattle when they were on leave.
- Would also explain why Parker goes from a decent officer capable of handling responsibility to the command equivalent of Death Incarnate needed to keep up with Sawyer's newfound drive, break through the Soviet lines, and win a decisive victory; he has as much a personal stake in saving Seattle as the Washington National Guardsmen.
- Bannon was in Seattle because Sawyer had transferred him to a supply unit there after their mission in New York. Sawyer said he would transfer Bannon as far away from him as possible. Seattle is about as far you can get from New York and still be in the continental US.
- And Sawyer sent Parker there on leave to "see his relatives". This isn't WMG, this is canon!
Bannon and every soldier of his company recieved the medal of honorIt's given out for actions which go beyond duty. What goes more beyond duty than letting a freaking nuke go off over your heads?
Italy and Turkey nuked Moscow and other Soviet cities, and caused the Warsaw Pact to surrender and the Soviet Union to collapseBecause everybody would underestimate them and not expect them to be crazy enough to use those nukes shared by the US without their suggestion (or the codes. That the Italians would have already stolen just because), and so wouldn't think to stop those solitary F-104S until too late. After that, the shock of the attack and the loss of the government combined with the defeat in the invasion of the US to cause a Soviet collapse and civil war, and the Warsaw Pact surrendered for fear of being the next on the list.