Video Game / Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu
Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu
is an action platform game by Hudson Soft
. Originally released in 1990 for the Nintendo Entertainment System
, a slightly expanded version was released a year later for the TurboGrafx-16
. The game stars Jackie Chan
as a kung fu fighter who battles an evil power which has kidnapped Josephine and taken over China. Jackie is assisted by his master's training and items given to him by various frogs.
- Advancing Boss of Doom: The first boss in the fifth stage in TurboGrafx16 version.
- Blackout Basement: One of the sections of the fifth stage.
- Bonus Stage
- Bubbly Clouds: The second part of the fourth stage.
- Death Mountain: The first part of the fourth stage.
- Essence Drop: Enemies drop some sort of energy balls.
- Everything Trying to Kill You: Enemies include, but are not limited to, tigers, crab under a rice bowl, river kappas, and animated Buddha statue.
- Flash of Pain: Present in the TurboGrafx-16 version.
- Flying on a Cloud: The Master flies around standing on a cloud, on which he gives Jackie a ride to the Bonus Stages. Jackie gets a cloud of his own for the final battle in the sky.
- Giant Spider: The Final Boss turns into one.
- Hailfire Peaks: The second stage.
- He Was Right There All Along: The bosses of the first, third and fourth stages.
- Hilarious Outtakes: The montage at the end of the NES version is meant to recall this tradition of Jackie's films (basically Jackie doing goofy faces in front of the various backgrounds of the game).
- Hurricane Kick: A variant in the Tornado Attack, a continuous mid-air somersault.
- Hyperactive Metabolism: Rice bowls heal 2 bars.
- Inconveniently Placed Conveyor Belt: Present in fifth stage.
- Kamehame Hadoken: Jackie Chan can do "psycho wave" attacks for a limited number of times.
- Law of 100: In TurboGrafx16 port, collecting 100 balls refills the health and psycho waves. In the NES version, it happens at 40.
- Lethal Lava Land: The first half of the second stage.
- Mercy Invincibility: It lasts a very short time.
- Rise to the Challenge: The last section of the Lethal Lava Land has rising lava in it.
- Roundhouse Kick: Jackie can do 180-degree and 360-degree spin kicks.
- Save the Princess: Josephine is either Jackie's twin sister or girlfriend, but he's out to save her either way.
- Shows Damage: Some bosses change color palette or appearance when damaged, oftentimes at the exact time they Turn Red.
- Spike Balls of Doom: In NES version, greenish spikeballs are present, floating up and down.
- Spikes of Doom: Present in some levels.
- Super-Deformed: Jackie Chan and Josephine.
- Temporary Platform: They are here and there.