Video Game / Universal Monsters Online
Universal Monsters Online
is a Multiplayer Online Battle Arena
which went live in 2012. As its name suggests, it takes place in the Universal Horror
universe and puts players into the cloaks/bandages/excess body hair of old-school film monsters. These range from perennial classics to more obscure entries in the genre.
The playable characters include...
Some characters who showed up in the concept art...
This game provides examples of:
- Adaptational Badass: Inspector Krogh can be seen in the promo art. Only his prosthetic arm has been upgraded to a bionic hammer!
- Adaptational Villainy: In their source material, Gwynplaine and the Mole Men were tragic characters. The Mole Men were abused, forcibly mutated, and enslaved, making their anger understandable. Gwynplaine is a completely good character who is one of the most noble characters in his story despite his grotesque appearance. Their bios play them up as more monstrous - Gwynplaine is implied to be murderous while the Mole People's backstory as slaves isn't mentioned.
- Monster Mash
- Mooks: Zombies and trolls.
- Mythology Gag: Frankenstein's alternate skin◊ bears a heavy resemblance to the version from◊ Van Helsing.
- Unlockable Content: By earning money in the game the player is able to access items, costumes and unlockable monsters.
- You Don't Look Like You: Some monster designs are modeled closely around the film versions, while others take far more artistic license: Countess Zaleska looks completely different to her actress Gloria Holden, while the Man Made Monster is much more evil-looking than the unfortunate schmuck played by Lon Chaney Jr. In some cases, the original designs are available as unlockable costumes.