Video Game: Universal Monsters Online
Universal Monsters Online is a Multiplayer Online Battle Arena which went live in 2012. As its name suggests, it takes place in the Universal Horror universe and puts players into the cloaks/bandages/excess body hair of old-school film monsters. These range from perennial classics to more obscure entries in the genre.The playable characters include...
- Frankenstein's monster
- The Wolf Man
- The Mummy
- Creature from the Black Lagoon
- The Phantom of the Opera
- Bride of Frankenstein (whose name in life is revealed to have been Madeleine Ernestine, continuity fans!)
- The Invisible Man
- Draculas Daughter, Countess Zaleska
- The Metaluna Mutant (from This Island Earth)
- The Mole Man King
- Dan McCormick, the Man Made Monster
- Gwynplaine, the Man who Laughs
- Weird Woman
- The Robot (from The Phantom Creeps)
- Ygor (from Son of Frankenstein)
- Jekyll & Hyde
- The Brute Man
- The Lamian Queen (from Cult Of The Cobra)
This game provides examples of:
- Adaptational Badass: Inspector Krogh can be seen in the promo art. Only his prosthetic arm has been upgraded to a bionic hammer!
- Monster Mash
- Mooks: Zombies and trolls.
- Mythology Gag: Frankenstein's alternate skin◊ bears a heavy resemblance to the version from◊ Van Helsing.
- Unlockable Content: By earning money in the game the player is able to access items, costumes and unlockable monsters.
- You Don't Look Like You: Some monster designs are modeled closely around the film versions, while others take far more artistic license: Countess Zaleska looks completely different to her actress Gloria Holden, while the Man Made Monster is much more evil-looking than the unfortunate schmuck played by Lon Chaney Jr. In some cases, the original designs are available as unlockable costumes.