is a platform/"adventure puzzle" game developed by the European TV channel ARTE and French graphic designer Cosmografik (aka Theo Le Du Fuentes) and published by BulkyPix. You play as a sideways colon/diaresis traversing a land of letterforms in a way reminiscient of Sonic the Hedgehog
as you explore the history of typography
from prehistoric times to the digital age while learning about some of the better known typefaces such as Bodoni, Garamond, Helvetica, and (yes) Comic Sans.
It's as absurd as it sounds
, but it works
. The game is available for Android
.Wiki Magic would be appreciated here.
Tropes present in Type:Rider:
- Gotta Catch Them All: Pages that explain the history of the typefaces are strewn all across the game. Collecting all of them and beating the game lets you read them at your leisure.
- Edutainment Game: Very loosely. The content covered by this game goes beyond what a normal Edutainment Game would cover. In addition, Word of God notes that it's the history of type that's important, not how many individual typefaces or type features can be identified.
Theo Le Du Fuentes:
Weíre not trying to teach people to be experts in type in Type:Rider, but I think itís important to know that itís a complex art with a long history.
- Fonts: This game celebrates the rich history of typography, and it shows.
- Video Game Settings: Based on when the typeface and/or writing style was first developed.
- Weird European Thing: Not many people think of typography as the subject of a video game.