Scalebound was an Action RPG developed by PlatinumGames and published by Microsoft Studios for the Xbox One.Players assume control of Drew as he progresses through the world of Draconis. Drew is bonded and accompanied with a dragon called Thuban, who can breath out fire and assist him throughout the game. Players can give commands to the dragon when performing attacks. The dragon can be ridden, and its shape and appearance can be customized. The two travel the world of to defeat the powerful enemies that threaten Draconis, Earth, and a vast universe of parallel worlds. Unlike other games developed by Platinum, the game puts more focuses on graphical qualities and the role-playing aspect of the game instead of action.Sadly, in January 2017, Microsoft confirmed that the game has been cancelled.
Scalebound provides examples of:
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: The enemy from the trailer.
- Blood Knight: Drew has shades for this this, as he gets very excited and plays up-beat music whenever he gets in a fight.
- Colossus Climb: When encountering large enemies, players can swing and climb on them to perform attacks.
- Dragon Rider: Drew is bonded and accompanied with a dragon called Thuban, who can breath out fire and assist players throughout the game.
- Expy: Drew is a white-haired, headphone wearing, jacket-donning, sword wielder who mostly wields with his left hand, has an enchanted right hand that has a grapple ability, and has a One-Winged Angel-styled Super Mode. Did Nero change his name or something?
- Gameplay and Story Integration: The battle music is justified by Drew wearing his headphones mid-fight.
- Orochi: Shown in the initial teaser. Ate the aforementioned Big Creepy-Crawlies.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Drew seems to use his sword with his left hand most of the time, but switches to his right hand when delivering more powerful attacks.
- Instant Armor: The main character can apparently create one that looks like the scales of their dragon.
- Kaiju: Some of the monsters. The scorpion-like monster from the 2016 E3 trailer for example is absolutely gigantic.
- The Right Hand of Doom: Drew has a dragon arm that can scan enemies for information, unleash pulse energy, and heal his dragon companion.
- Schizo Tech: For whatever reason, knights with swords coexist with portable music players.
- Shout-Out: The leader of a group of soldiers Drew encounters yells out "Team, unite up!"
- Synchronization: Unfortunately for Drew and Thuban, their lives are literally bonded. If one dies, the other is gone as well.
- Urban Fantasy: We only see a monster filled forest, a magical badass dragon rider, and knights. But said magical badass dragon rider's headphones and modern clothes, along with the Science Fantasy vibe from the knights imply it takes place in such a setting.