is a Platform Game
in the PixelJunk series, released on July 31, 2008 for PS3
. In it, you explore levels ("gardens") as a small, strange creature called a Grimp. Your goal is to find five "Spectra" scattered throughout each garden, by spreading pollen and growing large plants to leap between.
An expansion titled Encore
, which included five new gardens, was released the following April. In 2012, the game, including the content from Encore
, was released on PC via Steam.
This game provides examples of:
- Cast from Hit Points: The recovery technique, which returns you to the last solid ground you grabbed, at the cost of a chunk of the synchronization meter.
- Design Student's Orgasm: The game's art style is probably its most notable quality.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: It draws in nearby pollen, prevents you from gripping terrain you don't want to, and damages some enemies.
- Gotta Catch 'Em All: The main mechanic, besides jumping and grabbing. You collect thousands of pollen spores to grow seeds, which number from about 30-120 per garden, which you use to collect Spectra, of which there are 75 total.
- Gravity Screw: Courtesy of an invincible enemy in garden 7.
- Macross Missile Massacre: One enemy type attacks in this way.
- Scenery Porn: Minimalist variant. The curving flora and trippy backgrounds are gorgeous.