The rave area.LcdDem
with every other letter removed) is a Yume Nikki
fangame made by the Japanese composer known as Koronba. It's known for its gentler, more serene atmosphere and boasts one of the most well-received Yume Nikki
fangame soundtracks out there.
You play as Chie, a girl in a tiny room (with no apparent exit, strangely) and a balcony. She can only play her depressing Famicom-esque game NEJI and sleep. Once asleep, she enters a Wide Open Sandbox
lucid dream world. Like the original Yume Nikki
, there are many hidden effects to find, but the primary goal of the game is to seek the thirteen orbs scattered throughout her mind.
The game is currently at v0.030 and can be found here
.Needs More Love
This game provides examples of:
- Absurdly Spacious Sewer
- Acid Trip Dimension
- All Just a Dream: Par for the course!
- An Axe to Grind: Chie's weapon.
- Blackout Basement: Hexagon World, as of version 0.030.
- The Blank: A good number of characters you encounter have blank faces, particularly the boy in the library. Well, most of the time.
- Brought Down to Normal: The effects are actually craft supplies in real life.
- Clock Tower: One of the more memorable areas.
- Dead All Along: Whoever was in that other room at the end of the game.
- Downer Ending
- Dream People
- Dream Within a Dream: Sometimes, if you use the bed while in the dream world. This can show you how many orbs you've collected.
- Going to bed while dreaming can also trigger the axe nightmare event.
- The Pajama effect makes Chie fall asleep within her dream in order to warp to the Nexus.
- Dream World
- Empty Room Psych: There are at least two doors that can never be accessed, as they are blocked by npcs.
- A lot of rooms can be pointless dead ends filled with nothing but furniture.
- The Monochrome Beach portal rooms become these if the portals aren't there.
- Eyes Always Shut: Chie.
- Eyes Do Not Belong There: The boy in the dark forest area by random event becomes a large blob-like monster with two enormous eyes covering its body.
- Flying Seafood Special: Surprisingly subverted. Schools of fish fly over the protagonist only in the legitimate underwater area.
- Girl with Psycho Weapon: Chie with the axe.
- Gotta Catch 'Em All: In this case, the objective is to collect glowing orbs. Although effects are still present, finding them does not progress the game.
- Guide Dang It: The mazes are enormous.
- Hair Decorations: Chie wears a flower in her hair.
- Hikikomori: Until the end, Chie's room doesn't even connect to the rest of the house.
- Journey to the Center of the Mind
- Killed Off for Real: In one area, if you kill the person in the room, then return, there is nothing left but a pool of blood and bones.
- Lighter and Softer: Compared to its precedent, the horror elements have been toned down quite a bit.
- The Maze: Many, all of which have become significantly maze-ier with version 0.030.
- Mini-Game: The impossible NEJI.
- Mood Whiplash: Go ahead, Chie. Kill that creature on the park swing. It's not like the whole place will go dark because of it.
- The ending, compared to the rest of the game, is a sudden jolt.
- My God, What Have I Done?: It's likely that Chie had something to do with or knew how that other person died, hence why she's crying over the body at the end of the game.
- No Name Given: Chie is the only character with a name.
- One-Hit Kill: Using the axe on almost anything kills it in one hit.
- Subverted with the head in the spongey eye monster area.
- Pinch Me: Chie pinches herself to get out of the dream. Subverted in the ending, when her pinching doesn't work.
- Scenery Porn: Stained Glass World, among others.
- Sequel: LCDDEM 2 has you playing as the game's creator. You can do nothing but play NEJI.
- Shout-Out: Rainbow Tile World is likely a direct reference to the similar rave worlds of Yume Nikki and many of its successors.
- Similarly, there's a large maze of many glowing reddish tiles highly reminiscent of Yume Nikki's hell maze.
- The Teleport Maze, a trope of this genre which has appeared in Yume Nikki, .flow, and Yume 2kki.
- Solemn Ending Theme
- Spiritual Successor
- Spooky Silent Library: One of the areas is this. Although a certain event needs to be triggered for it to become spooky...
- Surreal Horror: While the game is far less frightening than Yume Nikki, there are still many scenes with surreal horror that may be unsettling.
- Under the Sea: The underwater area, naturally.
- Video Game Cruelty Punishment: If you kill the sleeping child in the weedy building, you will become trapped there. Killing the eyeball creature in the park is also not very pleasant.
- The Walls Have Eyes: One of the buildings in the pink box area is a hallway with large eyes staring at you.
- Wide Open Sandbox
- The Wiki Rule: Got it covered.
- Wrap Around: A lot of areas.
- Womb Level: One of the orb locations appears to be inside a uterus.
- Your Reward Is Clothes: The Parka effect, obtained after navigating through a door maze and climbing several long flights of stairs, is purely cosmetic.
- And then the same thing happens again in the tower found in the ice floe area, this time with the Yukata effect.
- This may in fact be a motif; the same thing happens with the Goldfish Bowl, found in the door-warping, cliff-hopping, ladder-climbing maze of the Mining area.