and its sequel, Hacker Evolution: Untold
, are hacking games by exosyphen studios. They are a Spiritual Successor
except with less of a Wide Open Sandbox
and more of a tighter focus on storytelling. The second game is notable for having customizable map pictures for each mission, so that the game can simulate hacking individual devices in a single building and what not.
A third, RTS-esque game, Hacker Evolution: Duality
has recently been released.
This game series provides examples of the following tropes:
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: The main plot of both games
- Disproportionate Retribution: In Hacker Evolution: Untold, John kills Brian's family just because of a bit of hacking!
- Fighting a Shadow: John Davis in the first game is actually a decoy for Xenti's AI
- Gone Horribly Right: In Hacker Evolution: Untold, Xenti's AI was originally supposed to be an automatic marketing tool. It starts killing people who are resistant to marketing
- It's Personal: John in the second game
- Kick the Dog: John in the second game
- The Singularity: The plot of the second game.
- Temporal Paradox: The first game involves informational time travel. The player character, Brian, is supporting Xenti's AI from the future, basically fighting himself.