Video Game: Down in the Dumps
A 1997 Adventure Game developed by Haiku studios.The story is about the Blubs, a diminituve alien family who is going on a holiday trip throughout space. Unfortunately, they are being attacked by Space Pirates. After a chaotic chase, both of them crash on planet Earth, in a large wasteland near New York City.Now marooned far away from home with their ship wrecked to pieces, the Blubs are forced to spend some time here. First thing to do: find back missing parts of the ship so they can build it again to go back home. In the meantime, they need to thwart the plans of the pirates...Tropes used:
- Bigger on the Inside: The Blub's washing-liquid-bottle home and the Bum's hair on his head.
- Bumbling Dad: Although he does prove to be more than that in "The Abominable Robin Blub".
- Down in the Dumps: Duh.
- Expy: The Blubs are basically expies of The Simpsons.
- Failure Is the Only Option: Nope, that "part" that Sonny Blub has found is just an old trashcan and the bum's earring is useless since the ship has already been built.
- Innocent Bystander: The introduction shows a worker who is repairing a part of the Statue of Liberty. As the alien ships fly by, they distract him enough for him to fall down, presumably to his death.
- Mad Scientist: Spike creates a machine that can twist people's minds, so he uses them on Papa Blub and Grandma Blub - respectively turning them into a neurasthenic slob and a savage berserker.
- No Name Given: The family is called Blub, but none of the members are given an individual name. They are just referred to as their family status.
- Robin Hood: The third chapter is a retelling of the Robin Hood story, with frogs and toads as the characters, except with the father from the Blub family as Robin.
- Swallowed Whole: Papa Blub is swallowed by a fish when going fishing at a pond, and he finds King Richard inside.
- Unwinnable by Mistake: Let's hope you didn't lose the electrocuting hand. Because you'll need it to defeat the bad guy inside the bum's head.
- You Dirty Rat: The first villain that you have to defeat in the game is a sunglasses-wearing rat who steals a part of the ship.
- Your Size May Vary: All the time. This is especially egregious in the "Bum" chapter, where the Blub kids are about the size of a third of the bum's shoes but get suddenly small enough to walk inside his hair, being the same size as the lice.