Brooktown High is a PSP Dating Sim developed by Backbone Entertainment (Emeryville) and published by Konami in 2007. According to developer interviews, Konami approached Backbone with the idea of creating an Americanized version of Tokimeki Memorial. Konami was very interested in the notion, going so far as allowing Backbone developers limited communication with the staff that created the original Japanese dating sim series.Production of the game appears to have started in 2005, then slowly devolve into development hell. There's ample evidence that in-game art direction changed at least once, and a pulled GameFAQs forum thread had one developer reveal story scripts were rewritten only days before launch. Despite this, Konami had incredibly high hopes for the title, providing a lavish presence at E3: including cheerleader booth girls and the handout of realistic Brooktown High letterman jackets. Experienced voice talent was hired for requisite dialog, and the soundtrack featured tracks from several up-and-coming indie bands such as Damone and Dashboard Confession. Konami even printed ads in game magazines and pushed a promotional contest giveaway.
Brooktown High contains examples of:
- Attack Drone: The robot Hall Monitor. It will hunt down and electrocute you, if you don't make it to class.
- Beach Date
- Betting Mini-Game
- Character Customization
- Dance Dance Revolution
- Dating Sim
- Game-Breaking Bug: Cannot save on a memory stick larger than 1GB.
- Grotesque Gallery: Unquestionably the single greatest source of rejection for this title. The conceptual artwork looks nothing like the end product, leaving unresolved questions as to why things looked this bad and no one said anything during development.
- No Dress Code: Even setting aside how it lacks uniforms like its source material being set in America, it's amazing how some of the girls weren't expelled for dressing so inappropriately.
- Player Personality Quiz: Determines your starting stats, your initial outfit, and your room appearance.
- Refuge in Audacity
- Sequel Hook: The ending ambitiously claimed the story would continue in college.
- Super Mode: The game calls it Ultra-Cool. When activated, you can't fail a social action, even when you would otherwise.
- This Loser Is You
- Your Cheating Heart: If you try dating more than one person, you WILL be discovered and your relationship for ALL of the cheated romances will take a negative hit.