"Aqua Rhapsody! Defend at all costs!"
Indie Flash game developed by Datacomb (read: 17 year old kid with Flash MX). Noted for it's unique clay-based graphics and subtle snarkiness towards "normal" indie games. An "enhanced-edition" of the game was planned to be released for the OUYA, but was later scrapped.
A castle where a kingdom resides has fallen into the ocean, and you're tasked with defending the castle from enemy forces as it rises back from the water. Oh, and when ONE enemy touches the castle, it's game over.
The game's Indie DB page can be found here: http://www.indiedb.com/games/aqua-rhapsody
Tropes used in the game:
- Back Story, The "Rhapsody Kingdom" backstory which is slowly revealed by unlocking notes.
- Based on a Dream, The original concept came from a dream Jonathon had, but the final product ended up drastically different "so it'd be a better game overall".
- Colony Drop, The castle falls into the ocean. Surprisingly, this causes little damage to either the castle or the outside world.
- Floating Continent, In this case, it's fallen into the ocean.
- Frickin' Laser Beams
- Indie Game
- Nintendo Hard, Quick mouse movements are a MUST to make any decent progress. The game is practically impossible to play using a touchpad.
- Nonindicative Name, Besides the word "Aqua".
- One-Hit-Point Wonder, The castle instantly explodes upon impact with an enemy. Your ship, however, can take much more damage.
- Randomly Generated Levels, Enemy placements are random each time you play.
- Reference Overdosed, The developer notes that a lot of small things are "shoutouts" to video game, anime, etc. These are as abstract as the level transitions that fade out in a similar manner to Space Harrier.
- Robo Speak, The in-game announcer, but this is apparently going to change in later versions of the game.
- Schedule Slip, Updates are done with an often sporadic schedule. Usually, updates come later than Jonathon says they'll come.
- Shoot 'em Up
- Stop Motion, The company intro is done in this style, to signify the game's art style.
- Title Scream, AQUA RHAPSODY!
- Underwater City, Sits in the background for a majority of the game.
- Water Is Air, Seriously, how can you fire a laser weapon UNDERWATER?