Useful Notes: Wong Fei-hung
A Chinese Folk Hero, Wong Fei-hung (1847-1924) was a Real Life historical figure and Martial Artist. Fei-hung (his given name, with Wong being his family name) was the son of Wong Kei-ying, one of the Ten Tigers of Canton and the man who trained Fei-hung. Fei-hung is the most famous practitioner of the hung ga style of kung fu, a style most famous in the west for being the basis of Earthbending in Avatar: The Last Airbender. In addition to his martial skill, Fei-hung was also a physician, practicing traditional Chinese medicine at Po-Chi-Lam, a clinic on Foshan that he opened. Fei-hung has been portrayed in film 89 times (77 of which were by Kwan Tak-hing, which is the cinematic record for most times an actor has portrayed the same character). In addition to the many portrayals of Wong Fei-hung himself, he has been a direct inspiration for a great many other fictional characters.
Tropes as portrayed in fiction:
- Drunken Master: Most notably in the Drunken Master series, but other portrayals of him have shown him using Drunken Boxing.
- Signature Move: The Shadowless Kick. What exactly is is depends on the work, ranging from just a very fast kick to laserblasts launched by kicking. In real life, it's usually a combination of a low-kick and a grapple.
- Star-Making Role: For both Jackie Chan and Jet Li, two of the most prominent Chinese action stars in recent years.
Appears in the following works:
- Drunken Master series: Jackie Chan plays a young and brash Wong Fei-hung. Notably, he largely uses Drunken Boxing through much of the movie, but is shown doing a great deal of stance training more appropriate to hung ga.
- Iron Monkey: Fei-Hung has a smaller role, as he's just a child in this film. However, his father, Wong Kei-ying is the Deuteragonist.
- Once Upon a Time in China: Jet Li's Breakout Role and one of the most influencial wuxia film series of the 90s. Most references for Wong Fei-hung are based off of this incarnation.
- Around the World in 80 Days: In the Jackie Chan movie, Fei-hung is one of many historical characters to make cameos. He's played by Chan's friend Sammo Hung.
- Related: Fei-hung's father Wong Kei-ying appears in Atomic Robo as a member of the heroic team the Centurions of Science, alongside Robo's creator Nikola Tesla and other historical figures.
Fictional Characters Based on Wong Fei-hung:
- The Last Blade: Lee Rekka is based on Jet Li's portrayal of Wong Fei-Hung from Once Upon A Time In China.
- Xeno Gears: Fei Fong Wong is, according to Word of God
- Batman: The Brave and the Bold: Wong Fei, Bronze Tiger's master, is named after Wong Fei-Hung (though he's more modeled after Pai Mei.