Trivia: The Crow
The comic book series:
- Creator Backlash: According to the example on that page, James O'Barr later regretted that he "glorified revenge".
James O'Barr: I wish I had never written the goddamn thing.
- However, the Special Edition released in 2011 shows that now, O'Barr has come to terms with the work, seeing it as about true love and the importance of self-forgiveness. This is thanks in no small part to Brandon Lee's fiancée Eliza Hutton, with whom O'Barr became close.
- Creator Breakdown:
- As mentioned in the description, what started the whole thing.
- After the death of Brandon Lee in the movie, James O'Barr said in an interview that writing the comic had been a vicious, self-destructive process and not at all cathartic, and that, combined with Brandon's death during shooting the film, made him "wish I had never made the goddamned thing."
- Old Shame: O'Barr has said that he regrets Writing the comic now, both due to what he now feels is a glorification of revenge, as well as the death of Brandon Lee due to the movie adaption.
- Sadly, aside from Sundown, it's one of his few works that most persons find awesome.
The film series:
- Creator Cameo: James O'Barr is one of the looters who rob Gideon's in the first movie. (Long blonde hair, carrying a small tv.)
- Executive Meddling: City Of Angels was hit by this pretty hard, 20 minutes worth of character development and important plot points were edited from the film, the only way to see the full version is on Pay Per View or bootleg.
- Fatal Method Acting: Brandon Lee's famous and accidental death on the set of the first film.
- Hey, It's That Guy!:
- Holy hell, Trini! This is the Peace Conference?
- Winston has to deal with a ghost without his proton pack.
- Looks like Nikon decided to take a break from hacking.
- Iggy Pop and Björk in the second film.
- Wicked Prayer has David Boreanaz as the villain and shares much of its production crew with, of all things, Six String Samurai.
- Top Dollar is veteran character actor Michael Wincott, whom you might remember form Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Strange Days, The Doors, Romeo Is Bleeding or Seraphim Falls, among others.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Top Dollar is The Prophet of Truth (in Halo 2 anyway).
- Mean Character Nice Actor: Funboy's actor Michael Massee, who accidentally shot and killed Brandon Lee, was so devastated at causing Lee's death (which was in no way his fault) that he took a year off to recuperate. According to a 2005 interview, he still has nightmares about it.
- What Could Have Been: Iggy Pop was asked to play Funboy in the first movie, but had to decline due to scheduling conflicts - The comic book version of the character was modeled after him to begin with. Instead, he played Curve in The Crow: City of Angels.
- Two other sequels were in development, one being The Crow 2037, a futuristic dark gothic fanatsy to be written and directed by Rob Zombie; and Lazarus: A Tale of The Crow which took place in the world of gangsta rap and was set to star DMX and Eminem. Neither film failed to materialize and were actually attempted to be spun off into stand alone films separate from the franchise before those plans stalled as well.
The TV series
- What Could Have Been: A TV movie was planned to end the series and wrap up the loose ends, but it never materialized.