- Ashcan Copy: Flash Comics, the title that introduced Captain Marvel (then called Captain Thunder). Whiz Comics #2 was the first actual issue; #1 was an ashcan edition and was never publicly released.
- Development Gag: The Alternate Timeline of Flashpoint has the Shazam powers shared among six kids (Billy, Mary, Freddy, and newcomers named Paco, Eugene, and Darla) who can summon "Captain Thunder" - Sound familiar?
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Adam West as the voice of Hercules in one episode.
- The Other Darrin: Jackson Bostwick (Captain Marvel) was replaced at the start of the third season by John Davey.
- Reality Subtext: Whenever Superman and Captain Marvel are in the same comic together, it's a pretty good bet one of them is going to punch the other. This is a reference to their famous court battle, where DC sued Fawcett over similarities to Superman.
- What Could Have Been: According to Alex Ross's Rough Justice art book, he proposed a redesign of the Marvel Family which would've slightly aged Billy to that of a teenager, and modeled him and Captain Marvel after their counterparts from the TV show. Ross's revision would've also included a reworking of Vulcan, the Expy of Black Lightning from Superfriends, with a backstory connected to Shazam. This direction was pitched when DC's decision to make Freddie Freeman inheritor of Shazam's power had been decided on.