- Banned In Lebanon: Academic protest eventually overturned this ban, however.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Marjane's uncle is former Stooge Iggy Pop in the English-language version of the film adaptation. And her grandma is Carol Brady and the Fixodent lady too! In the French version, the mother is played by Catherine Deneuve.
- Money, Dear Boy: Having never directed a film before, Marjane Satrapi agreed to do the animated version under the assumption that she'd only be supervising and that everyone else would do the heavy lifting while she sat back and made lots of money from it. However, she learned early on that this was not the case and fully embraced the creative process. She even had a moderately successful filmmaking career afterwards.
- Real-Life Relative: In the French version, Marjane and her mother are voiced by Chiara Mastroianni and Catherine Deneuve respectively, and they're in fact daughter and mother.
- What Could Have Been:
- They actually wanted to include Marjane's suicide attempt in the movie. A cut scene from the DVD actually shows the sketches of her hallucinations after she overdoses on medication that her husband drew, since she couldn't find it in herself to draw them herself. She also explains why it didn't fit into the movie.
- The wedding sequence in the movie was cut down in a brief montage of the event.