Trivia: Godspeed You! Black Emperor
- Big Name Fan:
- Michael Gira of Swans is on record as an admirer. This probably won’t come as a surprise since the two bands have undeniably influenced each other.
- Jay Baruchel has stated in interviews that he’s a huge fan of the band.
- Danny Boyle has also mentioned that he was heavily insipred by Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven and “East Hastings” while filming 28 Days Later.
- Flip Flop of God: While the band were identified as anarchists several times in the media, the band pointed out at various points that none of them had ever ascribed the label to themselves. Then, in a 2014 interview, Efrim Menuck did so without fanfare.
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: The only way the band’s composition “Steve Reich” is available is on bootleg recordings (the band played it once for radio station VPRO and once for late British DJ John Peel). The reason why is probably that it is loosely based on the eponymous composer’s Violin Phase. There are also two unrecorded pieces the band is currently playing live, although odds are the band is simply premièring this material before live audiences in order to fine-tune it, as they have done with most of their previous recorded output as well.
- No Hit Wonder: GYBE have only ever released one single, and it was distributed with a fan magazine. Despite this, they have a large fanbase and receive heaps of critical acclaim.
- Old Shame: All Lights Fucked on the Hairy Amp Drooling. The band have made it very clear that it won’t be reissued for this reason. And you can’t even Keep Circulating the Tapes because nobody’s got one to circulate.