Tear Jerker: Godspeed You! Black Emperor
This post-rock band from Montreal can really do some incredibly emotional songs.
- “I said, ‘Kiss me, you are beautiful; these are truly the last days.’ You grabbed my hand and we fell into it. Like a daydream. Or a fever.” from “The Dead Flag Blues” is particularly heart-wrenching. This is, arguably, the most bleak and depressing piece of music ever written. The cheery bit and the end actually makes it worse.
- “They don’t sleep any more on the beach” from the intro to “Sleep”. Just the man’s voice alone with nostalgia for the good old days is heartbreaking.
- “Love Song for 15 Ontario” by Godspeed side-project Set Fire to Flames manages to be heartbreaking with no vocals at all.
- The song was used on the soundtrack of the equally heartbreaking movie Tout est parfait, that centers around a teen whose four closest friends all kill themselves, leaving him out of their pact...
- “Wanda” by another Godspeed side-project, A Silver Mt. Zion, is already somber enough... then you discover it was written in memory of Efrim Menuck’s dog.
- “Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven” features a beautiful build-up to a crash that feels like dawn... It can make one tear up every time.
- The end of “Storm” with the sampled speech.