Trivia: Ben Hur
- AFIS 100 Years Series:
- Cool Horse: Ilderim's "children" are supposed to be Arabs, but are played by Lipizzaners, which are descended from North African Barbs. The sorrel horse Ilderim rides is an Arab; she shows the characteristic "flagging" of her tail as she runs.
- Enforced Method Acting:
- The stunt coordinator for the 1959 version was the legendary veteran stuntman/director Yakima Canutt; his son Joe was one of the stunt charioteers standing in for Heston. Joe is the one you see driving — and nearly flipped right out of the chariot — as the horses jump some wreckage in their path. That was unplanned, and Wyler kept it in, putting in a shot of Heston climbing back into place. Joe was unharmed.
- Stephen Boyd decided to deliberately play up the Ho Yay between Mesalla and Ben Hur. Charlton Heston was very much against the idea, resulting in some genuine discomfort whenever Boyd gets too close.
- Fake Nationality: Practically everybody.
- Throw It In: During the post-race celebration, the guy who picks up Messala's helmet and runs off with it did so spontaneously. The extras had been told to do whatever they wanted.
- What Could Have Been: Behold: Leslie Nielsen as Messala!