- The shot of Stimpy waving goodbye from the dog pound cell in "Big House Blues", where it's underscored by a particularly forlorn arrangement of "The Polovtsian Dances."
- "Son of Stimpy": As sick as it is, you have to give props to John K. (no matter how much you love or hate the man) for making the audience feel for basically what is a sentient fart and Stimpy treating it like a child he birthed.
- Stimpy running away after being harassed by bullies for his short stature in comparison to their mammoth height in "The Littlest Giant". It wasn't very uplifting back then, and it's only gotten more depressing over time now that bullying victims are likely to do the same (or worse). And having "Clair De Lune" as the background music only cements the emotional impact.
- At the end of Stimpy's Fan Club, Ren is so happy to finally have a fan letter that he slowly reads it to Stimpy as he beats him, wanting to rub in the fact that he finally has a fan out there. But when he gets to the final line:
Ren: Looooove-it says love-Your pal...S-Stimpy. (Turns to Stimpy, who, in spite of the beating, is trying his best to smile for his best friend. Ren quivers as he realizes what an ass he made of himself.) Oh Stimpy...I'm so ashamed...Stimpy: I meant every word. (Hugs a sobbing Ren) There, there, Ren. THERE, THERE.
- Ren and Stimpy's reunion at the end of "The Big Shot".
- Ren crying and missing Stimpy, and finding Stimpy's catnip mouse and hairballs on the floor.
- Stimpy finally cracking and realizing he missed Ren. "I WANT REN!!! WWWAAAAAAUUGGH!!!"
- "Ren's Pecs" is essentially "The Big Shot" but with Ren and Stimpy's roles swapped, and it's even more of a Tear Jerker. Unlike the above, they don't have a real reunion. The closest thing is when Stimpy serves Ren, but Ren doesn't recognize him and Stimpy is happy just to see Ren happy.
- Their parting is both Heartwarming and very sad. Stimpy gives Ren a muscle shirt he'd knitted for him, which Ren is moved by. They share sad looks, touch each other's hands, before Stimpy lets him go. Just so that he doesn't change his mind and beg Ren not to leave. Even Ren of all people is visibly torn up about this. The looks he gives Stimpy before and after he walks away is sad in itself.
- Nickelodeon made a music video based on the episode and it's even more of a Tear Jerker than the episode itself. Stimpy sings about how happy he is that Ren found success, but also lonely and heartbroken without him around. The final lyrics especially resonate with anyone who has drifted apart from a friend.
And when they talk about youI'll tell themThat I knew youWhen you. Were. Just.Ren
- Ren and Stimpy's tearful exchange at the beginning of "Ren Seeks Help," complete with Stimpy sobbing and screaming hysterically, and a hopelessly remorseful Ren. Ren forlornly walking away just sold it.
Stimpy: "You MONSTER! How could you say those HORRIBLE THINGS?!"Ren: "I KNOW I'm insane, Stimpy! I don't know why I can't control my violent urges... But this time, I'll do something about it! I'll seek help... For you!"Stimpy: "Don't do it for me... Dooon't do it for me... Do it for yourSELF!"
- Not an in-show example, but when John K. posted the news of Michael Pataki's death, he posted with it a picture of a tearful Ren and Stimpy with the words "Goodbye, Our Kind and Beloved Master", with Ren still holding the oar from "Man's Best Friend".
- The entirety of "My Shiny Friend" to anyone who has been close to someone/been through an extremely destructive addiction. It's almost scary how a series that's usually about absurdities can hit so close to home with the all-too-real horrors of something evolving from a pastime to a hobby to an obsession to something that devours your very being.
- When Ren loses all his teeth in Ren's Toothache, the beaver inside his mouth leaves, and the flies around Stimpy's litter box depart as well, remarking what a horrible stench it is. Poor Ren is left in tears.
- In "Haunted House", the scene where after failing so many times to scare the titular duo, the ghost gives up and thinks of himself as a a failure near the ending.
- Not to mention he's Driven to Suicide because of it.
- "Fake Dad:" GOODBYE DADDY! GOODBYE DADDY! GOODBYE DADDY! GOODBYE DADDY! GOODBYE DADDY! GOODBYE DADDY! GOODBYE DADDY! GOODBYE DADDY! GOODBYE DADDY! GOODBYE DADDY! GOODBYE DADDY! GOODBYE DADDY! GOODBYE DADDY! GOODBYE DADDY! GOODBYE DADDY! GOODBYE DADDY! GOODBYE DADDY! GOODBYE DADDY! GOODBYE DADDY! GOODBYE DADDY!
Ren: *sobbing*' Goodbye baby.
- That episode where Ren & Stimpy get stuck on a desert island. They quarrel and Ren drives Stimpy from their shelter (a whale carcass) into the jungle where he befriends the natives. Ren however is convinced they are cannibals that ate Stimpy and secludes himself, sobbing in remorse. A family of crabs enslave Ren but he uses their pet fly to escape but it falls to the sea and he drowns. The fly carried Ren's body to a horrified Stimpy, who cradles it in his arms.
Stimpy: "HE... was... my... FRIEND!"
- The episode "I Love Chicken", where Stimpy falls in love and marries a chicken (and not a live one either, but those plucked headless ones already prepared for cooking) only to have Ren try to burn it, turn it into sausages and then devour it after tricking Stimpy into an outside picnic so he could strand him far away where he couldn't intervene is pretty heartbreaking.
- It's very brief, but the face Stimpy makes after his first attempt to make the happy helmet fails is quite sad to look at: img.photobucket.com/albums/v98/speedyboris/renandstimpy/stimpysinvention-16-300x226_zpscd7473c6.jpg~original
- The fact Stimpy is so distraught and adamant in his project because Ren is unhappy. It has expectedly dark results, but the guy did just want to make his pal feel better.
- "Hermit Ren"; with Ren gone, Stimpy makes himself his own Ren out of meat. When he's done sculpting the piece, he smiles brokenly as tears fall from his eyes. The scene shows just how much Stimpy misses his pal.
- "Double Header" had Stimpy clinging to Ren's legs, crying and begging him not to send him away. It plays out very much like a couple breaking up, with one of them pleading the other to reconsider. Stimpy's desperation in this bit is very heartbreaking.
Stimpy: But I don't wanna go to Ursa Minor! What did I do wrong?Ren: *After a brief clip show* Well, I just don't like you.Stimpy: BUT I LOVE YOU! Please, please take me back! Please...Ren: Let me put this in Layman's Terms: I DON'T EVER WANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN!
Tear Jerker / The Ren & Stimpy Show
For a comedy show that's packed to the brim with gross-out humor and Comedic Sociopathy, Ren and Stimpy actually has moments that will make you cry.