Suspiciously Specific Denial: Advertising
- A famous ad run during a break of the 81st Annual Academy Awards shows Tom Cruise and Jimmy Kimmel escape from a burning house. Kimmel immediately says he hopes Cruise doesn't think he burned Cruise's house down as part of a plot to get him to do Kimmel's next show. Cruise sees through the denial and tricks Kimmel into going back into the house to rescue a nonexistent cat.
- Several tourism commercials for New Orleans and Florida reference the Gulf oil spill. One even insisted that "everything's normal" right after showing a bowl of shrimp.
- From an Australian radio ad for a home redesign company with a running joke about the crew resembling The Smurfs:
Guy 1: ...and the carport's clearly a winner. How'd you do it?
Guy 2: Well, with my talent, my skill...
[odd background noise]
Guy 2: Shush!
Guy 1: What was that?
Guy 2: It was not a team of Smurfs who helped me.
- Sainsbury's Still Table Water is "definitely not tap water".◊
- Commercials for Wendy's end with the tagline, "It's not fast food. It's Wendy's." They never say what Wendy's is if it's not fast food (which it is).
- Commercials for White Castle starting in 2012 claim they don't sell hamburgers, but actually sell "sliders". Right.