- The posture of Mazinger Z when it is activated is exactly the same as Tetsujin-28's.
- Though this may have been unintentional, Mazinger Z 's Rocket Punch and Kouji's tendancy to Shout Mazinger's moves were both taken from Giant Robo, with the Attack calling being based on how Daisaku Kusama/Johnny Sokko would shout out GR-1's attacks and the Rocket Punch being derived from GR-2's defense system which was shooting off his fits. However, due to the original Giant Robo's obscurity outside Asia and the US and Mazinger's popularity in basically every country but the US, This has lead to many people(Even on This Very Wiki)thinking Mazinger Z was credited for the RocketPunch attack.
- The idea of Dr. Hell discovering an army of Humongous Mecha among the ancient ruins of a Greek island is based on the real life legend of the mechanical giant of Talos.
- Likewise, the Mykene Empire is based on the Mycenae culture.
- In the original manga, Dr. Hell states he wants to achieve what Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, Napoleon Bonaparte and Adolf Hitler were unable to achieve (Take Over the World).
- Hitler himself showed up in the Gosaku Ota manga during a flashback where we learnt that Dr. Hell worked for him.
- In the Hot Springs Episode, there is a Devilman statue placed in the centre of a spring.
- During a manga chapter where the characters are trying to escape from Baron Ashura's submarine, they start joking about stripping like in Harenchi Gakuen.
- Dr. Hell's final Humongous Mecha is named Great King of Hell and it has three faces, right like Satan did in the The Divine Comedy. Go Nagai loved that book (albeit he apparently did miss that there are two parts after Inferno), and not only he included references in many of his series but also he drew a manga adaptation.
- In one of the Gosaku Ota episodes, Misato is compared with Cutey Honey.
- Archduke Gorgon's Youkikaijuu often look like Greek gods (Apolon A1) or mythological creatures: minotaurs (Minos M7), unicorns, (Yunikon Σ2), centaurs (Kentol Y7), harpies (Harpy π7), dragons (Draco Ω1)...
- Cicero N9, Mechanical Beast of episode 83, is named after Cicero.
- The Fem Bots are named after Greek and Roman Goddesses: Aphrodite was the Goddess of Love, Diana is the Goddess of the Hunt, Minerva is the Goddess of the Wisdom, And Venus was the Roman equivalent to Aphrodite.
Shout Out / Mazinger Z
Tropes A to C | Tropes D to F | Tropes G to I | Tropes J to L | TropesMToO | Tropes P to R | Tropes S to U | Tropes V to Z | Shout-Outs