Series: Spun Out
Spun Out is a CTV Work Com about the wacky group of characters that work at an ad agency and their misadventures. The cast includes Dave Foley, Paul Campbell, Holly Deveaux, Darcy Michael, Al Mukadam, Rebecca Dalton and J.P. Manoux.Jeff Biederman and Brent Piaskoski are co-creators, writers and executive producers.Brian K. Roberts, co-creator and director, is also executive producing.A second season was ordered and recorded but actor JP Manoux was then arrested for voyeurism and CTV put the show on indefinite hiatus because his role couldn't be neatly excised from the show. The second season eventually began airing in 2015.
- Ambiguously Brown: Beckett invokes this about Nelson while they yell insults at each other."I'd make a joke about your nationality, but I don't know what it is!"
- Calvin Ball: Beckettball/Nelsketball from "Toy Stories"
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Gary.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The series is fond of invoking these.
- Beckett and Nelson are ordered to go back to their [board]room and finish playing with their toys. (They were working on way to market them.)
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Beckett and Nelson. There is the slight hiccup that Nelson is gay, but he has absolutely no sexual interest in Beckett, nor has there ever been.
- I Have to Go Iron My Dog: One episode had Beckett trying out a casual relationship with a reporter. She would get texts about urgent information forcing her off camera for a bit, only to come back a few minutes later with a line about how it got resolved. Happened twice in the episode.
- I Want You to Meet an Old Friend of Mine: The Kids in the Hall guest star in episode "Middle Aged Men in the Hall"
- Local Hangout: They always seem to go Manion's, the bar downstairs, no matter the occasion. Subverted in that the employees don't have a "spot".
- Parental Neglect: Dave when Stephanie was a kid. He's trying to make up for it now. By the same token, Stephanie is a "Well Done, Daughter" gal.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Season 1's Finale featured a morbidly obese mayor who's public acts of lunacy put him in the middle of a PR nightmare. Not unlike a certain Canadian mayor that was in the international spotlight at the time.
- Ship Tease: There is lots of this between Stephanie and Beckett, at least him for her.
- Straight Gay: Nelson. In fact, it's more like Informed Gay as he's conveniently married, and thus does not flirt with other men. He could probably be bisexual since he admits to having slept with multiple women because he wanted to and not because he was confused about his sexuality.
- Jason Priestly's character counts when he made a guest appearance. The plot mostly revolved around Dave trying to show he's cool with it.
- The Unseen: Nelson's husband is kept behind every possible object in his one appearance so far. He's even The Voiceless. We only get to hear the tail end of a note he sings during karaoke.
- Work Com: Centered around an ad agency, so clients occasionally show up.