Queen In Hyun's Man
(인현왕후의 남자) is a 16 episode Korean Drama
which aired on the cable network tvN in 2012. It stars Ji Hyun Woo as the Joseon scholar Kim Boong Do and Yoo Inna as aspiring actress Choi Hee Jin.
In 1694 Joseon, it is the reign of King Sukjong. Queen In Hyun is living in exile after being deposed through the machinations of the ambitious concubine Lady Jang (also known as Jang Heebin). Fearing that the king will have a change of heart, Lady Jang and Right Minister Min decide to kill Queen In Hyun, but their assassination attempt is foiled by Kim Boong Do, a scholar loyal to Queen In Hyun. The conspirators later attempt to assassinate Boong Do in a library, but just as the assassin Ja Soo is about to kill him, Boong Do mysteriously vanishes.
2012 Seoul. Choi Hee Jin is an aspiring actress who has just received her first big break: the role of Queen In Hyun in the upcoming historical drama New Jang Heebin
. She runs into a strange man on set — Boong Do, who has somehow been transported to the future. Boong Do soon figures out that the time travel is caused by a talisman given to him by the loyal gisaeng Yoon Wol, and uses it to help his plans of toppling Minister Min and reinstating Queen In Hyun. Hee Jin eventually believes his story and helps him adapt to modern life, and the two soon fall in love. But it is not easy to fight a time gap of 300 years, and changing history has consequences.
This series provides examples of:
- Alone in a Crowd: Occurs several times, both with Hee Jin and Boong Do and individually.
- Annoying Arrows
- Badass Bookworm: Kim Boong Do, a Joseon scholar who can fend off assassins with books.
- Blood from the Mouth: When Boong Do gets hit in the chest with an arrow.
- Corrupt Politician: Minister Min, who conspired with the current queen to assasinate the previous one, and have their faction take over the courts.
- Delayed Ripple Effect: Boong Do realizes in 2012 the problems he's created with his time travel, but has enough time to return and attempt to set history to rights.
- Ermine Cape Effect: The Queen wears a specific gown; anyone wearing something similar is immediately executed. Boong Do becomes confused when memories of kissing Hee Jin wearing her mini-series costume overlap with his memories of talking with the Joseon Queen
- Eiffel Tower Effect: Namsam Tower is in the background of Episode 14.
- Establishing Series Moment: The opening scene of the first episode.
- Fish Out of Temporal Water: Boong Do is over 300 years from his reality.
- Foreshadowing: Boong Do's misconception that he was involved with Queen In Hyun while he has amnesia, Hee Jin teaching Boong Do how to use a tie.
- Hollywood Healing: Boong Do takes several arrows straight in the chest and is perfectly fine after a few days. He had modern medicine on his side, but still.
- Made of Iron: Boong Do.
- Meanwhile, in the Future: The story continues simultaneously between 1694 and 2012.
- Only a Flesh Wound: Aside from the Annoying Arrows, Boong Do also gets a sword straight through his torso. It doesn't even slow him down.
- Product Placement: Blatantly done for Sony Ericsson cell phones.
- Reset Button: After Boong Do's talisman is sliced into two. And again after Boong Do burns the talisman.
- Romance on the Set: Ji Hyun Woo publicly declared his interest in Yoo In Na at the public screening of the final episode. Yoo In Na later announced that she liked him as well on the radio.
- Show Within a Show: Hee Jin plays Queen In Hyun, her ex boyfriend Hang Dong Min plays King Sukjong and Na Jung plays Lady Jang in the historical drama New Jang Heebin. And later after the second reset Hee Jin narrates a documentary about Boong Do titled Queen In Hyun's Man.
- Title Drop
- Throwing Your Sword Always Works
- Time Travel