Miracles is an American TV show combining drama, horror, suspense, science fiction, and mystery together. It is directed by Matt Reeves, produced by David Greenwalt, and written by Michael Petroni and Richard Hatem. It stars Skeet Ulrich as Paul Callan and Angus Macfadyen as Alva Keel.Paul Callan was once an investigator of modern miracles for the Catholic Church. However, after he kept finding mundane explanations for supposedly supernatural phenomena, he began having a crisis of faith. He ends up leaving the church when he experiences a true, supernatural miracle that saves his life...and it gets dismissed due to lack of evidence. Alva Keel comes in and recruits Callan to his Sodalitas Quaerito (Latin for "Brotherhood in Search of Truth") organization. This organization specializes in investigating and cataloguing "unexplainable" phenomena. Joined by their colleague and former police officer Evelyn Santos (Marisa Ramirez), they are trying to stop impending "darkness" before it's too late.The show debuted in January 2003 on ABC, which canceled the show after airing just six episodes of 13 produced because the 10:00pm time slot was needed for news specials about the Iraq War. The full season later aired on Canadian TV and was eventually released on DVD by Shout! Factory.
This show provides examples of:
- Crisis of Faith: Paul Callan has one because he can't find true supernatural phenomena for the Catholic Church. When he did get a supernatural miracle and the church dismissed it through lack of evidence, he decided to just leave the church.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Alva makes several allusions to having an unhappy childhood, and in one episode a demonic entity taunts him about his dead mother and "what his father did" to the both of them.
- Power Trio: Paul is The Hero, Alva is The Lancer, Evelyn is (oddly enough) The Chick.
- Two Guys and a Girl
- Seeker Archetype: A bit obvious considering the name of Alva Keel's organization, however the show wasn't really around long enough for any character to evolve into a particular subtype.
- True Companions: In the making anyhow. Aside from Paul's mentor Father Calero and Evelyn's young son, who make sporadic appearances through the series, the main characters' lives revolve exclusively around their work and they don't seem to have any outside friends or family.
- Anxiety Dreams: Both Paul and Alva have these in the series, though Paul's are about the cases they are investigating and Alva has one about being abandoned by Paul and Evey, who then go off together.
- Friend to All Children: Paul, any time a kid shows up in an episode he is the one who talks to them. Even if they're dead.
- The Nothing After Death: A deleted scene reveals that Evelyn Santos was shot in the head in the line of duty, and she had a paranormal experience that she thinks showed her that there was nothing on "the other side".
- Brutal Honesty: Alva likes to tell everyone everything he knows, even if they don't want to hear it.
- That's Gotta Hurt: Paul tends to suffer an injury at least every other episode, including getting hit by a train and being shot by a Civil War soldier.
- Spiritual Successor: The creators have admitted that this show is a "spiritual version of The X-Files".