Growing up can be a hairy business.Lockie Leonard
is an Australian children's television series adapted from the Lockie Leonard books
by the ACTF
. It first screened on the Nine Network on 19 June 2007, and has subsequently aired in ABC3
. The series was filmed in Albany, Western Australia. A second series was filmed in 2009 and screened in 2010 in Australia, the UK and Ireland.
Lockie Leonard was produced by Goalpost Pictures Australia and is distributed by the Australian Children's Television Foundation. The theme song "Worlds Away" is performed by Jebediah.
Lockie Leonard premiered in the UK on Saturday 27 September 2008, as part of the long running children's Saturday morning programme TMi which airs from 09:00 to 10:30 on BBC Two
. It ran for the first 12 episodes then continued to air on CBBC
Channel. In America, it has aired on the short-lived Family Room HD.
The show won the 2008 TV Week Logie Award for Best Children's Series, and star Sean Keenan (Lockie) was nominated for the Graham Kennedy Award for Most Outstanding New Talent. It won the 2007 AFI award for Best Children's Drama Series. The series was also nominated for the 2007 BAFTA Awards for Best International Children's Drama Series.
This series contains examples of:
- Accidental Pervert: Lockie on occasion.
- Adorkable: Lockie himself occasionally falls into this, particularly whenever he tries to impress or interact with girls.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Lockie when it comes to his schoolwork.
- Bruiser with a Soft Center: Vicki, Lockie's Love Interest.
- Bumbling Dad: Sarge Leonard, Lockie's dad.
- Class Clown: Lockie unintentionally becomes this during his first day at a new school in an attempt to fit in.
- Clueless Chick Magnet
- Coming of Age Story
- Cool Losers: Lockie and Egg.
- Cousin Oliver: "Blob", Lockie's new baby sister.
- Good Parents: Joy and Sarge Leonard.
- First Kiss: Lockie receives one from Vicki at the beach.
- Gibberish of Love: Lockie occasionally develops this around Vicki.
- Grade Skipper: Lockie's brother Phillip gets enrolled in Angelus High School a year early due to his superior intellect.
- Growing Up Sucks
- Happily Married: Lockie's parents.
- Hormone Addled Teenagers
- Heterosexual Life-Partners / Vitriolic Best Buds: Lockie and Egg.
- Huge Girl Tiny Guy: Vicki is the huge girl to Lockie's tiny guy in the first series.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Lockie's main motivation once he moves to Western Australia.
- Just Friends: Lockie and Mel, in the second series.
- The Lad-ette: Vicki is a G-rated version of this trope.
- Metal Head: Egg, possibly the only Aboriginal Australian example on TV. His dad is the local preacher.
- Na´ve Newcomer: Lockie in the first series.
- Off to Boarding School: Vicki in the second series, much to Lockie's dismay.
- Official Couple: Vicki and Lockie in the first series.
- Puppy Love: Lockie and Vicki.
- Raging Stiffie / Jizzed in My Pants: Lockie has a wet dream involving Vicki at one point that puts him in a... sticky situation.
- Socially-Awkward Hero
- Spoiled Sweet: Vicki, the wealthy daughter of the mayor of Angelus.
- Surfer Dude: Lockie, described as a brilliant surfer by onlookers.
- Tsundere: Vicki, type B toward Lockie.
- Mel, Vicki's replacement, served as a type A Tsundere to Lockie.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Egg, once he befriend Curtis, The Bully of Angelus High School.
- Unlucky Everydude: Lockie.