Light Speed Esper is a Japanese Live Action superhero TV series from the 1970's. It is about a boy named Ikaru who is chosen to wear a supersuit so he can battle alien invaders.Originally created to be Toshiba's mascot, it also had a manga by Leiji Matsumoto.Fairly obscure, the series was broadcast in many countries in the 70s, including in Latin America.
Tropes in Esper:
- Clothes Make the Superman: a special spacesuit.
- The Faceless: Ikaru's parents (in their real forms.)
- Get Up, Go to School, Save the World
- Jet Pack: How Esper flies.
- Kid Hero
- Mascot: For the Toshiba Electronics company.
- Mission Control: The scientists who created the suit monitor it while in action and give advice when needed.
- Monster of the Week
- Ray Gun: Esper has two.
- Robot Buddy: Esper has a talking robot parrot named Shikar.
- Secret Keeper: Ikaru's parents know he's a hero, but he doesn't know they know. He also doesn't know that they're actually aliens in disguise! (They accidentally killed the real ones, and took their place to atone for it.)
- Super Wrist-Gadget: Esper wears a communication wrist watch.
- Transformation Sequence: Sort of; tIkaru only needs to say "Space suit, come to me!" and it flies to him and wraps around him.
- Word Salad Title: Esper doesn't have ESP, nor can he fly at the speed of light.