A popular Chinese TV series based on Bao Zheng.
This work contains examples of:
- Acting for Two
- Love Quadriladeral: The main point of "The Dream of Mandarin Ducks and Butterflies Case".
- Flower Motif: Pai Xiamei is named after Mei (Plum) Flower.
- Kangaroo Court: Of course, subverted with Bao. Played straight with other villains.
- Mistress and Maid: Yea Niang and Shuishui.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Zan Jen and Zan Ping.
- Also Consort Lee and Consort Liu. While Lee is unambitious, Liu is very power-hungry.
- Temporary Love Interest: Oh, poor Zan Zhao. All three of his love interests are dead; in some way that is very sad.
- The Voiceless: Wang Shunxiang. It is a plot point that she was kidnapped and poisoned to frame her brother in-law, Xiaju, that he killed her. She is also unable to appeal to Bao because she can't write. Zan Zhao eventually uses his power to purge poison out of her to save her and her child.