Gang Related is a police drama show that aired on May 22, 2014, starring Ramon Rodriguez & Terry O'Quinn. It is currently airing on FOX in America for 13 episodes. It's directed by Chris Morgan, who had directed some of the Fast & Furious movies and 47 Ronin.
Set in Los Angeles City, it follows plainclothes officers working under the Los Angeles Police Department's Gang Task Force, which works around the clock to investigate cases that involves gangsters, no matter how big or small the case is. Among the officers assigned to the GTF is Detective Ryan Lopez, who had served previously in the US Army's 75th Ranger Regiment prior to joining the LAPD. However, he has a secret that he hides from his colleagues and his superiors.
Prior to joining the military and the police, Ryan was taken in by a Mexican-American street gang called the "Los Angelicos" after his father died. The gang is led by Javier Acosta, who currently serves as the head of the gang. Javier had prepared Ryan, after he was adopted, by making him the Double Agent
and The Mole
in order to infiltrate the LAPD. As Ryan goes on his work in the GTF, he begins to question on whether his loyalty lies if he should continue to be the double agent/mole of the LAs or continue to work with the task force.
Gang Related provides examples of:
- City of Adventure: Los Angeles, if you're looking from a law enforcement perspective perhaps.
- Dirty Cop: Javier uses some of them under his payroll when they "arranged" for the death of three Long Beach Lord gangsters by locking them up in the jail's yard near the end of "Sangre Por Sangre".
- Double Agent/The Mole: The main plot of the show with Ryan serving as one when he works for the LAs and the GTF.
- Dynamic Entry: The GTF uses armored vehicles when they need to breach in case of potential resistance from heavily armed gangsters. In "Pilot", they used it after being warned by Ryan that some military-trained Lords gangsters may have set up ambushes.
- Internal Affairs: In "Sangre Por Sangre", IA officers interview Ryan during an investigation on the death of his partner, James Tanner.
- Prevent The War: After Carlos was wounded in an assassination attempt by the Lords, the GTF was ordered to search for shooters from the Lords in order to prevent a shootout from taking place in "Sangre Por Sangre".
- Recruited From The Gutter: Part of the premise is that Ryan Lopez was protected from the violence and poverty of his neighbourhood by Javier Acosta, the leader of the local Los Angelicos street gang after being orphaned. As a result Ryan has Undying Loyalty towards Acosta and acts as The Mole, helping Acosta stay ahead of the LAPD's Gang Taskforce.