Series / Clocking Off
is a drama series that centres around the workers of a Manchester fabric factory. Each episode centres around a different character.
This show provides examples of:
- British Brevity: There are four series, and none was longer than seven episodes.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Mac over Catherine and Alan goes through a period of being like this when he finds out his wife had an affair
- Dirty Coward: Stuart
- Dogged Nice Guy: Barry
- Domestic Abuser: Yvonne's ex boyfriend, Yvonne to Jim though thats played for laughs and Mac to Catherine as emotional never physical abuse
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: Yvonne repeatedly punching Jim in a restaurant is played for comedy. Granted he had just insulted her children but still . . . This is even more jarring cause the same treated episode her last boyfriend punching her as serious drama
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male: Averted. Not as extreme as rape but sexual exploitation. When Catherine starts a sexual relationship with KT who has a learning disability and the vulnerability of a child the other characters and call her sick
- Drivento Suicide: Frans sister
- Honey Trap: Tina
- House Fire: Happens to Yvonne in episode 2.
- I Kiss Your Foot: Mack does this to his wife Catherine. It tells you everything you need to know about the dynamics in their marriage.
- Jerk Ass: Bev, Stuart, Kev and Susie (though they occasionally shows sides of being Jerkwitha Heartof Gold)
- Jerk Ass Has A Point: Catherine may not be the nicest person in the world but when you hear her side of the story about her relationship with Mac its hard to disagree that he caused a lot of the problems in their marriage
- Jerk Ass Woobie: Catherine, Mark, Jenny and Freda
- Jerkwitha Heartof Gold: Kev and Susie sometimes
- Kitchen Sink Drama: A modern take on the genre.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: There are four series, and each episode reveals the life of a character who is generally in the background during the rest of the series. This adds up to quite a lot of people.
- Mama Bear: Yvonne
- Morality Pet: Averted with KT and Colins brother Mark who both get exploited and abused. Arguably applies to Ronnie's wife Jess
- Oop North: Set in Manchester.
- Papa Wolf: Steve when he thinks Kev gave his son drugs
- Rape as Drama: Marks Story
- Really Gets Around: Catherine Mac Intosh
- Rich Bitch: Mac's series 3 girlfriend Miranda borders on this
- Stalkingis Love: Averted with Kim's stalking of the Robinson family and Freda's stalking of Pat. Neither are motivated by romantic or sexual feelings but by jealousy and revenge.
- Workaholic: Mack
- Work Com: Actually somewhat averted. The characters all work in the same factory, but the stories are really about their personal lives, not about their jobs.
- Your Cheating Heart: Catherine. With anything in trousers. Kev, Alans wife, Stuart, Steve, Barrys wife