Campus is a semi-improvised British sitcom created by the team behind Green Wing
. It is set in the fictitious plateglass
Kirke University and follows the lives of the staff, in particular the power-crazed and callous vice chancellor Jonty de Wolfe, lazy womanizing English literature professor Matt Beer and newly promoted senior mathematics lecturer Imogen Moffat.
The show only ran for one series before being cancelled due to low ratings, with it being criticized as too surreal compared with Green Wing
This series provides examples of:
- Adorkable: Flatpack exudes this.
- Also Imogen with her awkward nerdiness.
- The Casanova: Matt Beer, philandering lecturer and head of the English department, who's dipped his wick in all but four female staff and whose sexual tryst with George Bryan results in her pregnancy and the big cliffhanger at the end of the series.
- Cliff Hanger: The series ends on one, with the Matt//Imogen UST remaining unresolved because she's still pissed off at Matt for having sex with George, and George pregnant with Matt's baby and an uncertain future ahead for him. Meanwhile, the repercussions of Jason and Nicole sleeping together are never realised, and Kirke's future re: budget cuts remains unresolved. As the series was cancelled, it's highly unlikely that any of these will be resolved.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Kirke's menacing Vice-Chancellor Jonty de Wolfe, who apparently has the power to manipulate the laws of physics to his will, has a personality that comes somewhere between Luna Lovegood and Colonel Gadaffi.
- Cute Bookworm: Imogen Moffat.
- Dance Party Ending: The series ends with a cast version of The Bangles 'Eternal Flame'.
- Go Seduce My Arch Nemesis: A gender-reversed version occurs where Vice-Chancellor de Wolfe sends womanizing lecturer Matt Beer to seduce his nemesis Georgina Bryan. Subverted a little because there's no trap at the end - the VC is just hoping she'll mellow a bit after the event and not cut his university to pieces.
- Really Gets Around: Matt Beer.