Bully Beatdown was a Mixed Martial Arts
show that aired for three seasons on MTV
. It was hosted by Jason "Mayhem" Miller, a professional fighter and leader of the Monkey Cult.
The premise is bullying victims go on the show and tell their story. Jason then brings the bully in and offers ten thousand dollars if they are willing to step in the cage against a fighter representing their victim. After the bully goes through basic training, they fight two rounds, the first focusing on grapples and submissions, with five thousand dollars at stake. They lose a thousand every time they submit to a hold. The second round is kickboxing, where the bully again has five grand up for grabs, which he or she will lose if they quit, get knocked out, or the referee has to stop the fight. All the money the bully loses goes to their victim.
Fights are usually short, with cocky upstarts going up against trained and experienced fighters, and are almost always very one sided affairs. It's great catharsis for bullying victims to see the likes of Michelle Waterson, Jeremy Horn and even Jason himself take down the bullies.
Bully Beatdown provides examples of:
- Always Male: Until season 3, that is.
- Badass Bystander: All of the bullies who get on the show suffer a Curb-Stomp Battle. All except one named Wes, who was actually able to give as good as he could take. Unfortunately for him, the MMA fighter decided to (illegally) kick him in the head.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Mayhem. The one time he got into the ring, he was like a cackling hyena.
- Bully Hunter: The main premise of the show. Certain fighters are really into going into the fight, and one bully egged Jason on so much he stepped up himself to fight.
- Bullying a Dragon: One bully was daring Jason Mayhem to fight him. He got his wish.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Pretty much every fight has the bully...well, beaten down in the first one or two minutes.
- Of all the bullies on the show, only 2 have managed to win (came out with a majority of the money). One got all $10,000 by holding onto the fighter in round 1 and managing to withstand a beatdown in round 2 (he still learned his lesson though). The other "won" because the MMA fighter kicked him in the head in round 2 (which, for obvious reasons, they're not supposed to do). The latter guy gave the victim the $5,000 he won from round 2 because "a knock-out's a knock-out".
- Special mention goes to the 1st episode of Season 3, where Mayhem himself fought the bully. The bully spent the entire time up to the fight talking shit. Mayhem ended Round 1 in just over a minute and Round 2 with 3 hits. To make it better, the bully said Mayhem was a wimp before the fight.
- Deadpan Snarker: Mayhem
- Defeat Means Friendship: Rarely, but it happens. At the very least, the bullies always agree to stop bullying their victims...after getting their asses handed to them.
- It's Personal:
- Why victims go on the show in the first place.
- It's also why Jason started the show: he was bullied himself as a kid, and wants to help other victims get their sweet revenge.
- Similarly, quite a few of the fighters say that either they were bullied or knew a friend or sibling that was.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Usually.
- Mixed Martial Arts: The fights are based on MMA, though each round is basically half of the sport.
- Mother Russia Makes You Strong: The only bully to walk away with all 10 grand was Russian. He still learned his lesson.
- Rule of Cool\Rule of Funny: Jason "Mayhem" Miller, in a nutshell.