Roleplay / Heart Of Desire
A forum roleplay on This Very Wiki
created by Lizard Of Aus
. It's a Green Lantern
-inspired game revolving around the eponymous Heart of Desire, a mystical artifact created by the Incan god of creation that can grant anyone who finds it the power to fulfill their deepest desire, which generally falls into one of four different factions: Love
, New Purpose
, or Entertainment
. Those with this power now call themselves Lightlives.
The original sign-ups were locked after the prologue in order to wipe the slate clean for the main plot. Those can be found here
. The game still retained the same IC and OOC threads, which may be found here
This game provides examples of:
- Added Alliterative Appeal: Invoked when Ken came up with the name "Parkour Patriot" for his superhero persona because of this.
- Alliterative Name: John Jackson and Johnny John Johnson.
- An Axe to Grind: Lars the lumberjack's weapon of choice.
- Animorphism: Some Lightlives have the ability to shapeshift into an animal. These include John Jackson (puppy), Lars Stryker (giant ox), and Terry (insect).
- Badass Bandolier: Lars wears one with hatchets strapped to it.
- Badass Normal: Any Player Character who doesn't take an upgrade from the Heart of Desire has to be this by default, or things won't go so well for them.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Even without his powers, Ken is still a capable hand-to-hand fighter.
- Battle Aura: As the Parkour Patriot, red smoke is always coming from Ken's hands.
- Blind Musician: Elanor is one.
- Cool Shades: Ken's aviator shades.
- Creepy Child: Elanor, what with her paranoia and other issues.
- Crusading Widower: Ken's dead girlfriend and Lars' dead wife cause them to take matters into their own hands.
- Cynicism Catalyst: Terry's sister is this to him, and the driving reason for why he's a Revenge Lightlife.
- Does Not Like Guns: Exaggerated with Ken. He absolutely hates guns because his girlfriend was shot with one before his eyes, so he wants to destroy every single gun.
- Eye Beams/Kamehame Hadouken: Ken can do both of them.
- For the Lulz/For the Evulz: Depending on who an Entertainment Lightlife is, they could fall into either one.
- Gender Bender: Ryu Hayashi, an Middle aged Male Ex-Yakuza gets turned into a physically 11 year old Magical Girl.
- Girl with Psycho Weapon: Elanor and her cleaver.
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal: As a puppy, John usually wears a blue open vest (although, it turns into a collar when he doesn’t want to stick out too much).
- Hollywood Dress Code: Lars wears the stereotypical lumberjack garb of a flannel shirt, black beard, beanie, suspenders, boots, and blue jeans,
- I Just Want to Be Special: The New Purpose Lightlives tend to fall under this.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Due to John’s loneliness, this was part of his wish.
- Improvised Weapon: Lars fights using common felling axes and hatchets from his previous gig as a lumberjack.
- In a Single Bound: The first thing Ken figures out is how to jump around like John Carter of Mars.
- Involuntary Shapeshifter: John has fallen victim to this trope, turning into a puppy when he lets his canine side get the better of him.
- Le Parkour: Ken does this so much that the other denizens of his apartment ignore him when he jumps out of windows in his civilian identity. In his heroic attire, he does it to the point where the SFPD refers to him as the Parkour Vigilante.
- Magical Flutist: Elanor eventually becomes this.
- Magical Girl: Ryu can turn into one with pink hair and a pink dress.
- Magical Girl Warrior: The upgraded form of Ryu's powers.
- Mighty Lumberjack: Lars' profession before he went on a killing spree and got superpowers, which he now uses to aid his lumberjack-themed combat style.
- Morality Chain: John is this to Terry.
- More Than Mind Control: Essentially what a part of Elanor's powers sum up to.
- Morph Tool: When a puppy, John has a vest that can transform into a variety of objects.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Lars' power involves generating extra arms.
- Multi Wielding: Lars uses four axes at once. Granted, he has eight arms...
- The Nicknamer: When one of the Militia of Vengeance shows up in a glowy red suit shooting at random cars outside Ken's apartment, Ken calls him "Glowstick the Gunman."
- '90s Anti-Hero: Lars was designed off of this archetype.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: One player described Ken as a "greaser-ninja Captain America."
- Snark Knight: The disgruntled Entertainment mentor Bill Sundridge has a sarcastic barb for every occasion.
- Required Secondary Powers: Lars' arm-growing power also comes with the ability to mend his shirt to create new sleeves.
- Ridiculously Average Boy: When John’s human, his appearance is plain ordinary and he tends to go unnoticed due to how “standard” he looks. However…
- Ridiculously Cute Puppy: …John’s puppy form is on a supernatural level of cuteness!
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge:
- Ken was on one against everybody with a gun even before he became a Lightlife, and he still is. He's trying to find the guy who killed his girlfriend and framed someone else for it, but he doesn't know how he's going to find the guy.
- Lars' backstory involved him and his brother-in-law tracking down the Brazilian gangsters who killed their coworkers and spouses (and an air-conditioning repairman) and left them for dead, and the two of them chopping up everyone they encounter.
- Super Strength: Ken can punch through brick walls.
- Testosterone Poisoning: Lars Stryker - An eight-armed lumberjack (dressed in stereotypical lumberjack garb) who swings four large axes at once, wears throwing hatchets on a bandolier, transforms into a giant ox, and is fueled by anger.
- The Power of Love: What most Love Lightlives fall into.
- The Power of Hate/Revenge: What fuels Revenge Lightives. Their hatred of something or someone is what makes them pick their motivation.
- Three-Point Landing: Ken makes these all the time.
- Vigilante Man: Both Ken and Terry go around beating the shit out of criminals, with Ken going as far as dressing as a superhero while he does it.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: One of the default powers every Lightlife possesses.
- Wearing a Flag on Your Head: Ken's shirts all seem to have the American flag on them.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: The worst a Love Lightlife can be.